Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs

crankshaft marks aligned and the timing belt on..manually..smooth

I got the canshaft and crankshaft marks aligned and the timing belt on. As I was turning the crankshaft manually the 2 revolutions to let the hydralic dampner set the proper tension on the belt the resitance wasn't smooth. At time I could turn the crankshaft easily and then at times it was harder to turn. Is this to be expected or is it possible I have some bent valves, do you think it will be OK for me to start the engine?

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!

if you remove the spark plugs is the turning easier?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I will try that be back in 15 minutes
ok let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, it does seem to be a more even resistance- just being a bit cautious with this interferance engine.

The reason why I am being cautious was when I was changing the seal on the crankshaft the tool I had used to lock the crankshaft from moving slipped and the crank moves about 90 degrees around 10 teeth clockwise. to get the camshaft and the crankshaft aligned (the timing belt was not on the car) I rotated the cranshaft counterclockwise to realign with the camshaft.

yikes!! that is not a good sign!! it was on tdc before the slip correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes,I initially had the camshaft and the cranshaft on their respective marks.

When I was working on the cranshaft it would turn really easily- the cam shaft held very steady through the whole timing belt change.

ok 10 teeth = to what clock position was it turned to ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It got turned clockwise, I had just changed the cranshaft seal and was tightning the cranshaft bolt that holds the cranshaft pulley in place.

ok the mark was on the top moved clockwise to what position on the clock ?

example was at 12 o clock position and turned to 3 o clock

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the cranshaft was turned from 12 o clock to just before 3:00 o clock position. Since there was timing belt the camshaft didn't move so I rotated the cranshaft back to the 12 o clock postion. Do you think a piston might have hit a valve?

no you should be fine !!! if it was at least 5 o clock then i would worry!!

you should be fine!!