Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

1999 Audi A6: abs and break light signs comes..dashboard..stepping

Hi, I have a 1999 Audi A6 avant wagon. The ABS and break light signs comes up on the dashboard. Also, when stepping on the breaks, you i get the "bing sound" alerting me to look at the dash. It's more of a warning light. Took it to Audi dealer ship and they said the ABS CONTROL MODULE (sensor) is bad and will cost about $1400 to fix. I did a search on youtube and saw someone take his out to be repair or rebuild for less. The breaks work find. Alternatively, one can buy a new one and replace. Some my questions are the following:

1) If a new one is bought and replace by my local mechanic, would he need to reset or reprogramme it? My mechanic is not comfortable working on any ABC. But he can replace it for me if i buy the new own without any warantee.

2) How much will it cost for a new one? and about how to should i pay mu mechanic to replace?

3) It is advisable to repair the old, and where can i do that? I leave in St Paul , Minnesota.

4) Obviously, money is and issue here and am trying to fix the issues without spending much.

5) It is advisable to fix and sale or keep it after repairing. Am assuming i might have other issue after fixing it, since i might have to replace all 4 rotors. Breaks pad is find thought.

I will be waiting for your respond ASAP.
Thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing “Just Answer” for your query. Yes, I can help you.

By far the most common cause of an illuminated ABS light along with associated beeps, is a failed ABS control unit. So common if fact that Audi and VW have addressed the matter with a technical service bulletin and a ABS control unit "repair kit", no longer mandating replacement of the complete ABS control unit and pump assembly at about a 50% cost reduction. When this described fault arises the ABS unit can not communicate with the scanner, and blocks the data bus from communicating with the other controllers on the bus. Other times when you have communication it will store a trouble code for a communication problem with the instrument cluster. Both scenarios dictate replacement of the ABS control unit.

1) If a new one is bought and replace by my local mechanic, would he need to reset or reprogram it? My mechanic is not comfortable working on any ABC. But he can replace it for me if i buy the new own without any warantee.

Yes a new unit would need to be reprogramed. Any VW/Audi specialty shop should be able to do that for you.

Depending on the particulars, expect to pay; The complete pump/control unit assembly (don't do it) about $1,200 and about 3 hours labor. Just the control unit attached to the pump about $800 and 1 1/2 to 2 hours labor. And remember it will need to be coded with a VW/Audi scan tool.

3) It is advisable to repair the old, and where can i do that? I leave in St Paul , Minnesota. Yes replace the old one. No coding will be necessary. You can have your unit rebuilt by module master.com. Here is a link to the replacement procedure for a Passat but it's the same:

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/Volkswagen/98-01_Passat_info.php

Go with modulemaster.

That depends on A LOT of things about the car that I can't advise you on. As far as the ABS is concerned, once you fix it, it's fixed. I have never had one fail a second time. Over the years I have likely replaced close to 100, but always using new and recoding.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT“ button by THIS answer.

Thank You!
Jake “THE AUDI DOCTOR”

Jake, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained