Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

audi A4: car has 178000 kilometers on the clock

do you find problems on the multitronic gearbox on audi A4 2004. the car has 178000 kilometers on the clock.people say i must sell it because of the problems on the gearbox.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 4 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

I don’t know if I would say you “had to sell it“, but unfortunately it is true, the CVT transmissions are prone to costly repairs. There are a dozen technical service bulletins, describing various conditions that arise and the procedure to correct each one.

If you wanted to keep the car I suggest taking it to a BMW dealer and request that they change the fluid in the gear box. They will use ONLY genuine Audi Fluid #G 052 180 A2. Then they can also assure all the latest “re-flash” updates have been performed on the Transmission Control Module, road test it, and advise you of their opinion. Even after this there will be no way to know for sure, but with the fresh fluid and updates, you will be giving it it’s best chance.

It’s a shame because it is a very nice transmission aside from the potential problems and repairs.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. If you accept my answer, please don’t forget to leave feedback.

Thank You!
Jake “The Audi Doctor”