Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

front noise when turning the wheel left

front noise when turning the wheel left or right and especially on an inclination
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

These symptoms would be consistent with an air cavitation problem in the power steering system. I suspect if you open the steering fluid reservoir and inspect the fluid after it has been running and making the noise, it will be very aerated. This condition is more prone to occurring when the fluid is cold and thicker.

I suggest you first check the fluid level when cold. It should be between the min and max marks. Then start the vehicle and let it idle, but do NOT turn the wheel. Observe the fluid, it should circulate without any bubbles or noise. If it makes noise shut it off after about 5 seconds. This allows any trapped air to be expelled from the system in the reservoir. Wait about 1 minuet and repeat this procedure until it no longer makes noise and expels bubbles. Allow the vehicle to run until operating temperature is obtained as indicted by your temperature gauge. Now turn the wheel about 1/4 turn to the left and right. If it starts to make the noise again, shut it off and try the previous procedure. Repeat this turning procedure until you can go full lock left to right without any noises. This will confirm that any trapped air has been expelled from the system. While performing these procedures you should leave the filler cap off and adjust the level as necessary. Set the level to the max mark when hot and turned off.

Should the noise return during driving or the next time the vehicle is started cold, either the fluid is dirty/contaminated or there is an air leak (leaking into the system) between the reservoir and pump, or the pump has failed. I suggest you check for a possible air leak and or have the system flushed with the proper fluid, not just drain and fill, but a complete flush, as there is quite a bit of fluid in the steering rack and hoses that must be replaced.

If the condition returns after flushing, the pump has likely failed and would require replacement.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should require any further assistance on the matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always appreciated! If you decide to accept this answer, please leave feedback.

Thank You!
Jake “The Audi Doctor”
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think it sounds more like a suspension noise but i will go on monday and try this as well
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. My appoligies.

Creeks or groans, sometimes like a door "creaking", typically when at a stop, and usually when the weather is warmer are usually caused by one of the rubber bushings in the suspension. The car should be raised on a hoist where an inspection of all the suspension components can be carried out. Sometimes the cure is as simple as lubing a sway bar bushing, other times it involves a torn bushing of one of the suspension links. The ball joints of the links also wear and make a "knocking" sound on bumps or dips. I suggest you have the suspension checked by a qualified repair facility. This is likely not a safety issue so It would be fine to wait until your next service to have it inspected if you chose to do so.

Let me know how that goes. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Thank You!
Jake