AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

2005 Audi A4: low oil pressure light came..pulling..intermittently

I have a 2005 Audi A4 1.8T it has 93000 miles. The low oil pressure light came on about a week ago when pulling into a parking space. I immediately turned off the engine and checked the oil and it was a quart low, I added a quart of oil and on the drive home the oil pressure warning would go off and on intermittently. I took it immediately and had an oil change done with Kendell full synthetic oil per usual. Then on the drive home from the oil change the oil light pressure indicator began the on again and off again intermittently routine. I didn't drive it for a day or so then started it up and the oil pressure indicator came on when I began to drive the car and stayed on. I immediately drove it to the Audi dealer where I purchased the car used in 2008 with 50K on it and knowing through the Audi forums that it might be a sludge problem I asked the service manager about the issue, having bought the car used at that Audi dealer he looked it up on the computer and told me that my car was not one that had that particular problem. I was under the assumption that it was ALL the 2005 Audi A4 1.8T engines that were susceptible to this problem, was I incorrect?, and how would he know my particular car was not one of them by looking at the computer? I dropped it off on Saturday and will hear from Audi service manager> Spoke to Audi service manager today and he told me it was not a sludge related issue, and not the oil sensor, and that in his opinion it was a oil pump but without taking the car apart $250 charge that will used toward the repair $1200-$1300 estimated repair cost if in fact that is the problem. Question could it be a sludge issue and does the VW/Audi settlement cover the 2005 A4 1.8T. If it is covered by Audi should I pursue that with AUDI N.A. and hope they cover the cost of the repairs, or should I find a qualified mechanic outside mechanic that could do the work and if so what would be a reasonable estimate of an outside mechanic doing the work.

Once this problem is fixed I would like to give this car to my newly minted teenage driver I would appreciate a check list of in order of priority of what crucial and preventative services needs to be performed so she has a reliable car to drive. Assume that nothing has been serviced on the car since 50K except regular oil changes, tires, brakes and wiper blades so I can have a complete list of what I should service on this so she not stuck somewhere given the age, miles, and resale value. I am also considering buying her a later model car.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 2 years ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

ok, few things to work through here, but let me offer you something first...

AudiDoc :

actually, let me ask this first. Where have you had oil changes done?

AudiDoc :

hoping that you're able to get into the live chat, since there's a lot of information that I'd like to exchange

Customer:

I Goodyear serice center by my home.

AudiDoc :

ok, thanks. XXXXX sure you want me to be completely straightforward with you, correct?

Customer:

yes

AudiDoc :

Ok, good. Related to any possible participation by Audi, that's a futile effort for a couple of reasons, but the biggest one being there there is no Kendall oil that is on the VW/Audi 502.00 oil standards list

Customer:

OK

AudiDoc :

let me link you to this list for future reference: http://www.my-gti.com/2534/

AudiDoc :

ok, so let's talk about what needs to be done to fix your problem. It's not an oil pump

AudiDoc :

but it is likely sludge-related

AudiDoc :

so, the oil pan is going to need to be removed and claned

AudiDoc :

cleaned

AudiDoc :

the oil pump pickup tube, with strainer screen (one part) will have to be replaced

Customer:

Service manager told me and I can only assume this that it was not a sludge problem because everything looked clean

AudiDoc :

there is no way of knowing this without either removing the oil pan, valve cover or both

AudiDoc :

in a lot of cases, the top end of the engine (under the valve cover) looks clean, but the strainer is plugged

AudiDoc :

also, have you been using Audi, Mann, Hengst or Mahle oil filters?

Customer:

I ask him when I talk to him tomorrow, Again I assumed he inspected the vehicle because he told me it would cost $135. and I agreed to that, but I don't know what they inspected.

Customer:

No

AudiDoc :

that is extremely important as well

AudiDoc :

so my suggestion is to find a very competent Audi shop, independent shop

AudiDoc :

they should be able to get the pickup tube job done in about 6 hours

AudiDoc :

and the strainer costs $30

AudiDoc :

sealant another $20

Customer:

any suggestions I'm in Phoenix Metro AZ

AudiDoc :

I truly wish I did. I know quite a few other Audi shop owners across the country, but none personally down that area

Customer:

so what's a general estimate of the total cost? and If it is an oil pump?

AudiDoc :

I'm usually right around $600-$700 for a job like this. The pump would add another $250

Customer:

do they flush the engine in any way? how many oil changes should be performed to complete the job, and is that additional?

AudiDoc :

Ive never flushed it, and have great success...

AudiDoc :

the oil change should be part of this job...

AudiDoc :

and then every 5k miles, using 502.00 oil and correct filter

Customer:

for the extra $250 is worth having them replace the oil pump while there at it? When do they normally go?

AudiDoc :

I have done about 100 sludge jobs in the past 5 years, and haven't replaced a single pump

AudiDoc :

so no, in my opinion, it's not worth it

Customer:

what's your recommendation about keeping the car, is this just going to be the first of potentially many repairs and problems?

AudiDoc :

well, you're overdue for a complete timing belt/water pump/tensioner/etc job....

AudiDoc :

that's about $1k

AudiDoc :

at some point in the near future the plastic crankcase ventilation components will start to crack and fail, costing about $700 to replace

Customer:

so in the next month, 6 months, year? I have about $2500 to $3000 in repairs?

AudiDoc :

yes

AudiDoc :

possibly

AudiDoc :

sorry....let me clarify

AudiDoc :

timing belt job now

AudiDoc :

oil job now

AudiDoc :

that's $1700 or so

AudiDoc :

crankcase ventilation parts....in your climate....potentially

Customer:

6 months a year?

AudiDoc :

6 months a year for?

Customer:

AudiDoc :

ah yes.....low 1xx,xxx mile range

Customer:

you know Audi's should I bag this one and get a newer model Audi for my daughter?

Customer:

if so is another used A4 a good choice or another model if so what years look good

AudiDoc :

I know them quite well, and such a difficult question for me to answer....

AudiDoc :

see...in my case, yep, I'll have my kid in one of these

AudiDoc :

no questions asked

AudiDoc :

but, obviously I'm doing my own work on them

Customer:

of course... if my kids haves a financial questions that I can help with, cars NOt at ALL

AudiDoc :

understood....

AudiDoc :

and as a financial person, you understand the concept of diminishing value on your asset

AudiDoc :

is it worth throwing $3k at a $10k car?

AudiDoc :

sometimes, yes

Customer:

Last question on line good Audi parts dealer, I have some interior trim issues that need to be replaced, cup holder arm rest cover, glove box hinge...etc...etc.

AudiDoc :

ah, so OE (original equipment) parts....

Customer:

yes

AudiDoc :

www.ecstuning.com is a good one

Customer:

thanks for all your help!!!!!

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop