AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

2002 Audi a4: same error code.Did Timing belt..water pump..crank..ecu

2002 Audi A4 Quatro
Check engine error "Cam Position Sensor"
Replaced "Cam Position Senser" puchased from Advanced Auto
Still same error code.
Replaced "Cam Position Senser" puchased from Audi
Still same error code.
Did Timing belt-full Kit from ECS Tentioner water pump cam seal crank seal ect.
Still same error code as well as an oil leak from the cam seal that I must have clipped during install.
Replaced cam seal, got rid of oil leak but still have error code.
Checked wires up to ECU no obvious issues.
I am down to two sticks of TNT & a match.
This is my daughters car and I am out of ideas.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

the the check engine light code is P0341 or similar?

AudiDoc :

Not to impune your knowledge or mechanical ability, but the physical crank---->cam timing is off a tooth or more

AudiDoc :

I think I've had to replace a total of one cam sensor, out of the 100+ times I've seen that code on customer cars

The error code that comes up on the actron CP9580 has been:

Hit enter by mistake-Error code constant P0340 other codes for miss fire are random & a new one P0411 one time. As for impugning my knowledge, I design tools & fixtures for helicopters & have been doing that & working on cars since 1974.I can replace parts like a mad man but some times I could not diagnose my way out of a paper bag.

When it comes to this Audi most of my knowledge is pulled from the inter-net sometimes kicking & screaming all the way.

Go ahead, Impugn away.

As far as the timing being off, the car was running fine, then the error code.

I did the timing belt because I was working thru the possible corrections on the net and

after the “Cam Position Sensor” this was next.

The mileage was up there & the water pump had a slight leak so this was not a waste of time.

Both marks lined up correctly every thing else went back together fine.

The car starts hard & has a slightly rough idle but once you are moving all is well except for the check engine light.

Pushing it up the highway there are no knocks pings or hesitation. But I don’t think the turbo is kicking in.

AudiDoc :

hmmmm, ok reading...

AudiDoc :

hopefully you might make it back online since I did the live chat open

AudiDoc :

and glad to hear you weren't offended by my suggestion that things weren't perfectly in time...

AudiDoc :

I'll work through some other possible scenarios

Ill be back on line tomorrow and see if there is anything new.

AudiDoc :

Curious if you ever had the cams out for any reason, such as replacing the chain tensioner gasket. Also, I'm changing this to another format, since for some reason, I don't get alerted to chat responses, so never know when to open it back up

AudiDoc :

you'll be prompted to accept, but please do not do so, since I haven't given any sort of an answer yet

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not removed either of the cams nor have I removed the valve cover.

I have listened to the top of the valve cover near the rear for any noise that the chain might be loose

& have not heard anything that would make me think that. (Used automotive stethoscope)

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let's just make sure of one thing. Do you have power to the cam sensor? Specifically pin 3
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did run thru the pins at the cam senser in the begining but this evening I will do it again and verify the readings.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Ok, don't want to sound like I'm giving you any sort of run around. Just wanting to be thorough, so we don't miss anything
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Using an analog meter-

With car running:

Pin 1-just over a volt

Pin 2-just under 2 volts

Pin 3-nothing

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
There's a problem. No voltage to the cam sensor. I won't be able to get to my wiring diagrams until tomorrow morning though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thats OK, I'll wait.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. I'll put an alert on my calendar for the morning. Please wait to reply until I do.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Ok, the power supply for that sensor is actually a 5v supply, not 12v. This also supplies the same voltage to the boost pressure sensor, which is in the charge hose fitting behind the left (driver's headlamp).

It's actually Pin 1 on the cam sensor and pin 3 on the boost pressure sensor, that should both have a 5v reference. Please check for significant voltage differences between the two, key on engine not running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Borrowed back my digital meter and got the following readings:

4.95 volts pin 1 cam position sensor

4.95 volts pin Numbered 4 but is actually the third wire on the boost

pressure sensor that is on the passengers side over the turbo.

There are 5 pin locations but only 4 are used.

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so voltage is solid. Now, let me as you this. Are you using a generic scan tool, or something more specific like Vag-Com?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actron CP9580 updated soft ware 11/2010
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Yeah, that's not going to be a lot of help, since there are some very specific measuring blocks that are only accessable using an Audi-specific tool. I obviously have to work off of the information you're providing, and everything checks out so far. There is reference voltage to the sensor, I have to assume that the physical crank to cam timing is good, beyond that, the only possibility is a wiring problem to the computer. I can certainly give you the pin assignments if you'd like, but beyond that, I'm sort of at the limit of what I can do through the computer screen here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you can give me the pin assignments I will take it from there and consider your end fulfilled as I will have some were to go from here, an actual schematic would be nice but I will be satisfied with what ever you can send .

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, I cannot copy over a wiring diagram, but the pin information is as follows:

Cam sensor pin 1 - Engine ECU pin 98
Cam sensor pin 2 - engine ECU pin 86
cam sensor pin 3 - ground