AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

2006 Audi A4 Quattro: great car and has been serviced regularly.

I have a 2006 Audi A4 Quattro. It has been a great car and has been serviced regularly. It has 160000 miles on it. I went to start it this morning and there was nothing. No lights, no sounds, no starting, no nothing. I am not sure what to do or where to start to diagnose this proplem.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 2 years ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Ok, let's start with the simple, before moving onto the more complex

AudiDoc :

have you had the battery tested?

Customer:

I have not. It has been starting strong all along so I really never thought it would be an issue. Typically one would see a dimming or hear a tick, no?

AudiDoc :

sometimes batteries do die very gradually....

AudiDoc :

however, in cases where a cell "sulfates" or essentially goes bad, the battery can quickly go from 12v to 0v

AudiDoc :

and your car being an 06....likely has the original battery

AudiDoc :

6+ years is about the lifespan of the Audi batteries

Customer:

Wouldn't there be something indicating? There is really nothing. Lights sounds. Ticking. fuel pump.

AudiDoc :

if the battery falls under 4-5 volts, nope, no sign of life at all from the car.

AudiDoc :

obviously, I have to assume that the battery terminal clamps are not loose

AudiDoc :

but that's easy enough to determine

Customer:

I was driving it last night and in fact was shopping with the wife and started several times.

AudiDoc :

yep, understood

Customer:

it just seems odd to me that it would go from strong start to nothing.

Customer:

I checked the terminals and they are tight

AudiDoc :

as most batteries fail gradually, yes I agree that it's odd, however in the case of internal cell failure, it can happen in a relative instant

AudiDoc :

voltmeter would confirm this

Customer:

Unfortunately I have a teenage son and tools are missing.

AudiDoc :

LOL....sorry, but I understand

AudiDoc :

do you at least have a 10mm wrench, and 13mm socket with extension and ratchet?

Customer:

It would be a relay? Probably not fuse as it is too general a problem.

AudiDoc :

neither a fuse nor relay would knock out everything you list at the same time

Customer:

Interesting? Security system? No mods to the car everything is stock.

Customer:

Are there and caveats in replacing the battery?

AudiDoc :

security system will shut the car down after running for 2 seconds, but all electrical accessories, AND the starter will function

AudiDoc :

battery is easy. Remove 13mm bolt on passenger side....

AudiDoc :

remove negative clamp first

AudiDoc :

remove battery

AudiDoc :

reinstall in reverse order, installing positive clamp first

Customer:

Will battery replacement have affect on security system, settings, computer etc.?

AudiDoc :

likely just the clock and date

AudiDoc :

radio should be fine, as it has it's own memory, not battery related

Customer:

Thats an easy fix. Thanks. Recommended battery? Anything special?

AudiDoc :

let me look up the group number

AudiDoc :

MTP48/H6

Customer:

So any brand with those specs?

AudiDoc :

well, I prefer the Interstate brand, but the size/group number, if you go with a different brand is group 48

Customer:

I will look for Interstate and do the replacement with fingures crossed. With all the drivers in this house I need my car running at all times. Thanks again AudiDoc.

Customer:

Sorry that was "fingers crossed"

AudiDoc :

glad to help!

AudiDoc :

I'm sure it will be fine

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop