Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Audi: What is the average oil consumption for an Audi A6 2.0

What is the average oil consumption for an Audi A6 2.0 (automatic) petrol engine it has done 89,000 miles and drives really well but seems to use quite a bit of oil, it goes from full to the low oil light coming on in about 2000 miles of high speed driving continous driving. There are no leaks or abnormal fumes from the exhaust.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. It shouldnt burn over a quart every 2000 miles...If so you will need to have PCV system checked out and if good you eitherh ave leaking valve seals or piston rings. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the PVC system, I'm not sure if you are saying that a quart per 2000 miles is the maximum that it should burn or that a quart per 2000 miles is too much. I repair my own motorcycles so I have some knowledge of engines. On my bikes when I have had worn rings I have noticed some loss of power and blue/grey smoke from the exhaust. My A6 has plenty of power and no visible smoke from the exhaust. The actual amount of oil used per 2000 miles is around 1 litre I'm not sure how how that converts to quarts as we only use litres over here, any idea?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
1 quart per 2000 miles is maximum, so if your burning 1 liter within 2000 miles thats within spec so there is nothing to be worried about. PCV is Positive Crank Ventilation system which is how the vehicle allows crank pressure to vent..If its not able to vent the pressure forces oil past rings and valve seals. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.