AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

2007 Audi A4: the sudden wont start..lights come..CD player..tune

Hi, my 2007 Audi A4 all of the sudden won't start. The lights come on fine, so I don't think it's the battery, but it doesn't even come close to turning over.

Also, the CD player goes crazy when I try to start, AND the clock is reset to 12:00

Just had a 45,000 tune up and repair work done on car last week.

Any info would be great, thanks.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 2 years ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Good evening...

Customer:

Great. Thanks.

AudiDoc :

ok, so we'll talk about starting and charging systems here....

Customer:

okay

AudiDoc :

back about 10 years ago or so, when a battery died or got low, you'd experience some sort of slow cranking situation with the engine, but now....

AudiDoc :

things are a bit different....

AudiDoc :

these days, once the battery drops under about 250-300 cold cranking amps, the starter won't even attempt to crank the engine over....

AudiDoc :

but at 250 amps, the lights will still shine brightly

AudiDoc :

more shortly...

Customer:

so you think it IS the battery then?

AudiDoc :

well, now here's the twist. Your car has two batteries

AudiDoc :

there is one in the engine compartment for starting only....

AudiDoc :

and one in the spare tire well for everything else

AudiDoc :

so it's quite likely that you have a dead starting battery

AudiDoc :

I recommend testing both

Customer:

would that cause CD player to activate and clock to reset?

Customer:

audio system is set to SAT

AudiDoc :

well, that's why I recommend testing both. The accessory battery might also be low

Customer:

gotcha. so I have to have someone come and test it, yah?

AudiDoc :

correct. Load test and alternator output test for both.

AudiDoc :

each battery should have at least 500cca capacity

AudiDoc :

alternator output at least 13.5v

AudiDoc :

but I have a strong suspicion this is your only problem, so not terribly expensive

Customer:

yeah, just have to find someone to come test and jump, if need be, I guess

AudiDoc :

AAA might have a service like that, even if you're not a member

AudiDoc :

but not sure about that at all

Customer:

gotcha, okay thanks

AudiDoc :

sure thing. Glad to help

AudiDoc :

if you don't mind, please click accept before logging off so that I can get credit for the answers. Thanks!

Customer:

sure, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good one

AudiDoc :

you too

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop