snapontech, Technician
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree Custom Tuning and experience with Audi and all of VAG motors

1999 Audi A4: tiptronic..shift lever..come loose..D..defective

I have a 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro with a Tiptronic transmission.
The shift lever has come loose and, when in "D", it flops left and right.
I suspect the internal magnets are defective.
What's the best way for me to repair this at the best cost?
I am capable of doing the work myself, but I don't know how to proceed.
Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Your best option is to get a good used one from or local salvage yard the job can be done either by a local independant shop or if you have the tools do it yourself they will charge 2.5 hours of labor which is not that much and will use the parts you provide if you choose and they are very inexpesive from car parts compared to the dealer. I have included the steps you will want to replace the shifter assembly. CLICK HERE FOR THE STEPS Thanks

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posted in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the news is not what we want it to be and can be expensive and disapponting, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at beginning your question with “Snapontech"