Stephen D
Stephen D, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ years managing an import auto repair shop. Lots of experience with Audi.

2006 Audi A6: Car wont start with new battery..start only..jump start

Have 2006 Audi A6. Car wont start with new battery-can start only with jump start ?Were is the problem?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Stephen D replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help point you in the right direction.

First thing, a new battery is not necessarily a charged battery, or even a good battery. You need to make sure the battery is fully charged outside of the car (using a battery charger rather than the alternator), then take it to any parts store and have them perform a load test.

If the new battery fails the load test, that is (clearly) the problem. If the new battery passes the test, but still won't crank the car, there are a few things to check.

1. The connections at the battery is the first place to look.
2. When you try to crank the car, feel the positive and negative cables, if one is hotter than the other, you have high resistance in that cable.
3. Make sure the negative side is properly grounded to the chassis.
4. Be sure all of the connections are tight from the battery to the starter.
5. Test the voltage at the battery and then at the starter, if there is a voltage drop, you have a problem with the wire. If the voltage is the same, and the starter will still not turn, the starter is the likely culprit.

Sometimes starters will function, but require abnormally high amperage to turn. This is due to a failing armature and the starter should be replaced.

Following the above steps should successfully diagnose the problem. I am making the assumption that the alternator is charging, but if that is unknown it should be tested as well. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Please don't forget to accept my answer, I am only paid when you do so.

Best Regards,