Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs

Audi A6 Quattro My 2001 Audi A6 2.8 transmission is slipping

My 2001 Audi A6 2.8 transmission is slipping severely. Getting code "P0741 Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck off/No power being transferred". Problem appeared suddenly immediately after I changed the engine oil. It seems like an odd coincidence, so I'm wondering if I may have disturbed something while changing the oil. Is there anything I can try or check before I go drop thousands of dollars on a new TC and/or transmission?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 years ago.

good question for you what was the color of the pan you changed oil?

there are 2 pans one silver and one black

the oil pan for the engine is silver

the trans pan is black and it is a common instance that the black one gets drained and then you are low of transmission fluid!!

i will wait for your reply

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh my god. I feel like an idiot. I drained the black pan that has an Allen bolt plug (8mm Allen wrench). I couldn't understand why after adding only 3 qts of oil, it was above the high mark on the dip stick. Makes sense now. What damage do you think I may have done? I found an ATF change kit for my car on for $115. Kit includes fluid, filter, gaskets, new pan mounting hardware, a hand pump w/ tubing, and a procedure. Maybe I can add ATF to my engine oil now.Signed,Dumbass
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 years ago.

hopefully none but there is that chance if was driven long time then better chance of damage!!!

if very little mileage less damage to none!!!

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.