Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

2001 audi a6: my radio is on safe mode i think I need a code

I have a 2001 audi a6 my radio is on safe mode i think I need a code can anyone help me
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

you will 1st need the radio code which your loacl dealer should be able to tell yo free of charge

If you check the handbook first though as often the radio code is on a sticker inside the front cover or inside the audio manual.

then try the following:

Turn on radio. The radio display shows "SAFE".

Press the P.Scan and RBDS buttons simultaneously and hold until "1000" shows on the display.

Release the buttons. Do NOT press these buttons again, otherwise the radio will consider "1000" to be the code.

Use Preset buttons 1 to 4 to enter the four-digit code number from your radio card. Preset button 1 corresponds to the first digit, Preset button 2 corresponds to the second digit, etc. Each press of the button increments the number by 1.

Once the code shown on the display is correct, press the P.Scan and RBDS buttons simultaneously and hold until the word "SAFE" appears in the display, then release the buttons.

The radio should unlock and be usable shortly afterwards.

If an incorrect code is entered, the word "SAFE" appears, first flashing and then continuously. You can repeat the above steps to unlock the radio once more, the number of attempts will be shown in the display. If an incorrect code is entered again, you radio will be locked for about one hour.

After one hour - the radio must stay on and the key must remain in the ignition lock - if the display goes out, the you can repeat the above procedure to unlock again.

The cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies.