AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop

2006 Audi A6: dashboard warning lights..marker lights..push button

I left the key in the ignition of my 2006 Audi A6 with engine off over night. Now some of the dashboard warning lights and the marker lights are on but the car will not start with the key or by the push button. I can't even open the glove compartment to get the manual. Power locks do not work either.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 3 years ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Customer:

Hello, Jason.

AudiDoc :

hello there...

AudiDoc :

so, I'm speculating that your battery is quite low, despite seeing some of the warning lights

AudiDoc :

are you able to open the hood or trunk?

Customer:

I can open the hood. I have not tried the trunk.

AudiDoc :

let's try the trunk first, as the battery is in there, to the right of the spare tire

AudiDoc :

do you have jumper cables or battery charger?

Customer:

I have jumper cables.

AudiDoc :

excellent

AudiDoc :

let's start with the basics then

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

I tried the trunk release. It doesn't work.

AudiDoc :

ok, is your car a 3.2 or 4.2?

Customer:

3.2

Customer:

The look to be a battery terminal under the hood on the passenger side.

AudiDoc :

ok, let me take a look to find out where the jump spot is under hood

AudiDoc :

ah, good, you found it

AudiDoc :

positive clamp there, and negative to a post right near the same location

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

Red positive plastic cap on one of the terminals.

AudiDoc :

ok, perfect.

Customer:

So, I have another car I can jump it from. Anything unusual I need to know? Never jumped this car before.

AudiDoc :

On the donor car, red to positive battery terminal, black to negative terminal. On the A6, red to the terminal under the red cap, and black to the ground post. Start the donor car, and let it run for 5-10 minutes. On the A6, when you first go to start it, set the key to the position where all of the instrument cluster lights come on, but don't immediately start it. Give it about 15 seconds to let the throttle blade go through its setpoints. Then start the Audi

Customer:

Ok

AudiDoc :

would you like me to keep this chat open until you get it started?

Customer:

yes, but as you said it will be a few minutes before I get back to you. :)

AudiDoc :

ok, no problem at all. I'll check back here in 5-10 minutes

AudiDoc :

and I'm back

AudiDoc :

still with me?

AudiDoc :

signing off again, but I should be alerted when you respond

Customer:

Ok got it started. Going for a drive to charge it up. Thanks.

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop