AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 I have a 2004 Audi A4 -- I have engine code P0010.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Audi A4 -- I have engine code P0010. My car runs OK. Shutters occasionally coming to a stop. Does not have good pick up from a stop either. CEL is on. Not bad gas mileage, but not great. I have cleared the code but it just comes back. Any ideas??
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 3 years ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

I'll need to ask a few questions, if you're able to get into the chat here

AudiDoc :

hello there

AudiDoc :

let me know when you're ready

AudiDoc :

Ok, well, it looks as if you're possibly having trouble with the chat function?

Customer:

yes

AudiDoc :

oh, you made it

AudiDoc :

excellent

AudiDoc :

so a few questions.

AudiDoc :

1) are there any other codes present?

Customer:

no

AudiDoc :

2) how many miles are on the car?

Customer:

114000...I just bought it about 2000 miles ago. I dont know if the belt has been changed.

AudiDoc :

ok, you covered my 3rd question....

AudiDoc :

Right now, I'd be suspect of a few things. 1) timing belt maintenance. Is the crank to exhaust cam timing correct. 2) is there a problem with oil pressure, possibly due to a sludge problem, which causes the cam chain tensioner to go slack 3) is the chain tensioner collapsed or are one of the chain tensioner rails cracked

AudiDoc :

all of these things need to be checked out very carefully by a person/shop who knows VAG products well

AudiDoc :

you should be seeing at least mid-20's to high 20's for mileage

Customer:

engine has sludge issues I believe. Oil cap has build up on it. Dip stick has build up on it.

AudiDoc :

no good, but if caught early enough, it can be dealt with

Customer:

This could be effecting the cam chain tensioner

Customer:

?

AudiDoc :

absolutely....the chain tensioner is the highest oil-fed component in the engine....

AudiDoc :

when oil pressure drops due to sludge, the tensioner begins to collapse

AudiDoc :

and causes tensioner and cam position codes

AudiDoc :

I'm surprised you haven't seen a P0341 code yet

AudiDoc :

time to have the oil pan removed, and oil pump pickup tube inspected or replaced. This is the best remedy to low pressure problems

AudiDoc :

have have the oil pan completely cleaned

Customer:

I hear no noise at the engine that makes me suspect of tensioner problems

AudiDoc :

but there is definitely a tensioner code

AudiDoc :

it's really best to have an oil pressure test done with a mechanical gauge

AudiDoc :

this will tell you for sure if the code is oil pressure-related

Customer:

definatly a tensioner code?? explain

AudiDoc :

P0010 - camshaft position actuator circuit - bank 1

AudiDoc :

your engine only has one bank as it's an inline-4

AudiDoc :

and there is only one actuator (chain tensioner)

Customer:

crank to exhaust timing will be corrected with proper chain tension

Customer:

?

AudiDoc :

crank to exhaust timing is completely controlled by the timing belt. Exhuast to intake timing is completely controlled by the chain and tensioner

AudiDoc :

hopefully this will clear things up for you and give you a game plan for the work needed

Customer:

buy just inspecting the oil pump pick up tube and replacing it would help? Would not the engine need some sort of a flush?

AudiDoc :

I haven't done a flush on one of these in a very long time

AudiDoc :

start with the pickup tube if pressure is low

AudiDoc :

I do really need to sign off for the night, but I trust the amount of information I've provided has given you a sufficient road map to take care of your question

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 3 years ago.
Was the answer I gave sufficient for your question?
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry about not excepting the answer months ago. I creared the gmail account and have not really used it. I did not realize that I did not pay you. Accept my apologies