Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Why is my 2003 audi a4 sputtering?

why is my 2003 audi a4 sputtering?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Is check engine light on? If so, what diagnostic codes are you getting? Does a coil seem to keep failing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no idea what the code is, how would i find it.....yes the check engine light is on and flashing....yes a coil keeps failing have had coil change 3 times in last 6 months or less.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I'd consider buying a new coil from dealership or a used OEM coil to prevent cheap parts causing problem....I'm pretty sure your coil has failed again you can have diagnostic codes checked for free at your local parts store. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what kind of coil there are more than one and why do you suggest that?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
There are many manufactures of the coils and the parts stores usually have cheaper parts so if there is a part that continues to fail then you would want to replace with a OEM part made for car manufacture. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
your answer is very vague....how many coils does the audi a4 2003 have...in your opinion what would be the labor cost to replace all coils and connector?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I wouldnt replace all of the coils, just the one that has failed.....There is 1 coil for each cylinder so if you have a 4 cyl then its 4 coils or if you have a V6 its 6 coils...I'm assuming you have a 4cyl since its more common. Each coil is about $40 and the labor rate is 0.7 hours per coil. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I asked about the connectors to the coils if i replace the connectors to the 4 coils how many would I need to purchase
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Each coil has its own individual connector so if you have a 4cyl you would need 4 connectors. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How much time do i have to ask more questions
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You have as much time as you need, you can ask questions at any time if you run into more. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Even if i pay now?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yep, you can reply at any time even after you pay/accept....So I'd start with having diagnostic codes checked and if it indicates a specific cylinder misfire swap coil with another cylinder to see if misfire moves if so replace coil. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.