Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

Audi a4: my coolant is running low...can I put in Prestone dex..cool

my coolant is running low...can I put in Prestone dex-cool extended life into my audi a4 1999?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
I wouldn't and according to the engineers no. If it isn't that low (at the bottom of the coolant bottle) then I would just add water. It won't throw the mix off much. Even if it Is getting low frequently because of a leak (which you probably have if it is low) I would add water unless it freezes where you are at or you aren't going to fix it for a long long time.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is you should probably add a little water and get it fixed. I have seen people mix them and can't say it caused issues for sure, but it is better to not mess with cooling systems that way you don't risk screwing the engine up.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's pretty low. In the morning when I first start to drive, the coolant light goes on for a short while and then goes off. I live in Guam, so it's very humid tropical weather...never gets below 80 degrees. Do you think I should just put water in? And if so, should I put in tap water or does it have to be distilled? Thanks.
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.

Technically it is supposed to be distilled, no shop I have worked at ever (nor the dealer) uses anything but tap water. Unless you have hard water there just use tap water.

The caveat to this is you don't want to dilute the coolant too much or you'll lose the anti-corrosion properties. So if it keeps happening then get VW/Audi coolant.

And the system holds like 2 gallons, so at the bottom of the bottle isn't pretty low, that's only like a quart Wink

Danny

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There are no Audi/VW dealers on island. However, there is a BMW dealer that sells "BMW coolant." Is it safe to assume this is the same or equivalent as the recommended G12?

Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
I mix them when I only have one or the other around the shop. They are probably the same. Definitely closer than dexcool.

Danny