Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

2006 audi a6: diagrams or details of how to set the timing marks up

Customer Question

hi i need diagrams or details of how to set the timing marks up on my 2006 audi a6 2.0 tdi pd engine i ve ordered the tools and am not a novice any help would be gratefully accepted XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Audi
Expert:  Danny replied 3 years ago.
Honestly, I don't even use the tool set. I mark the belt with a paint pen at each of the pulleys and then just transfers the marks. As far as the tool set, and using it can I get the vin of your car I will look for some pictures.

Danny
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi mate car was damaged and i believe the timing has been altered as it sounded lie a tractor when it was going,i checked it with vag.com and one fault said the cam sensor was damaged (which it was)so i replaced it and now it wont start and come back with cam position fault so i believe the timing is off the vin number is XXXXX cheers keith
Expert:  Danny replied 3 years ago.
Which cam position fault? These engines are highly interference I hope it ddidn't bend valves. Can I get the fault code number? I know from the numbers whether it means the sensor is bad, the timing is off, or the signal is bad.

Danny
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no damage to engine, still started, replaced cam sensor had three diff codes on,all cleared apart from cam sensor position fault, after closer inspection the sensor had been damaged by a bit of timing case plastic and fell apart in my hands when i unbolted it so it was replaced with a new audi part so i just want to cleck the timing has nt jumped a tooth regards keith
Expert:  Danny replied 3 years ago.
Well I will need the vin so I can pull the diagrams but I will tell you that if the engine runs and you don't have cam pos sensor faults anymore then its dead on.

Danny
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no mate you missunderstood me the only code that came back was the cam position fault code,so i changed the sensor (which was damaged)but now the car wont start although it does fire the odd time when turning over, the vin code is in my previous reply keith
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi danny got sorted ,it was the timing worked it out without diagrams thanks but dont need any help regards keith
Expert:  Danny replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about the delay in my response most of us are in the US I was sleeping when you responded. I am glad you got it.

Danny