Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
2947720

How do I remove the front caliper on a 2001 audi A6 2.7 T I

Customer Question

How do I remove the front caliper on a 2001 audi A6 2.7 T?
I am trying to change the rotor and I looked on line and was told to remove the slide pins on the caliper with a 7mm hex wrench. There is a rubber boot on the inside of the slide and when I insert the 7mm hex it spins. I used a mirror to look into the boot and it looks round not hex. Very frustrating.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The rubber guides will sometimes move along with the pins. You want to keep turning the pins and then wiggle the caliper so that the pins will clear the brake pad bracket, (which you will want to take off as well by taking out the 2 bolts toward the inside, to get the rotor off)

I have the instructions in a PDF format that you can download HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem I am having is that I can't remove the guide pins. They are 2 (rubber boot) and 3 (guide pin) in the pdf. Can I pull off the rubber boot?
Once it is off, what tool do I remove the guide pin with? The 7mm hex spins in the hole.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Then you will want to try an 8mm hex, if that is too small, then a 9 and so on.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.

That's all the information that I have on it. Let me opt out and we can re list the case to see if there may be another expert who may have more. No need to reply as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
To be clear, I am removing 2 and 3 on the pdf diagram. Protective cap and guide pin.
Can't find right tool for guide pin removal.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Actually if you are not replacing the brake pads then you can take out the bracket bolts, (#6) and leave the pins in. The pins might be a torx type, (I think a T-30) but they are most times an allen key type. I am not at the shop right now to confirm it though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Were you able to confirm if they a T-30?
If I remove 6 will I be able to swap the rotor out?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
That is correct, you can take the caliper off with the bracket and replace the rotors, and not have to mess with the pins.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pdf does not match my brakes...
I have the 4 pad system with quick release for the pads.
It is an 2001 a6 2.7t.
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 years ago.
Oh, you have the dual piston calipers. Let me refer it to one of our best Audi experts. No need to reply as that will lock it back to me. Someone should be along shortly, sorry I wasn't able to be much help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any one got an idea on how to help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My brakes are the HP-2 variety.
Do the guide pins come off?
I am afraid if I break the bolts on the back the grease in the rubber boot will bleed out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hoping someone has an answer as I have a window this afternoon to work on my brakes.
Audi A6 2001 2.7t- HP2 brakes...
Changing the rotors and pads. Need to swing caliper out of the way to change it.
Do I remove the guide pins (what tool would I use)?
Or do I break the 2- 21mm bolts on the inside of the caliper housing.