Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

audi tt my cam chain tensioner was making noise once i replaced

Customer Question

my cam chain tensioner was making noise once i replaced the unit with a new one the noise continued with the new unit not sure what else it could be
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 years ago.

Eurocar Inc :

hello there !!

Eurocar Inc :

is the oil light in the dash flashing time to time?

Eurocar Inc :

how often do you change your oil and are you using synthetic oil?

Customer:

i am using syntheric and i change it at 3,000 miles

Customer:

and i have not seen a oil light come up on the instrument panel

Customer:

you there ?

Eurocar Inc :

the chain tensioner is pressurized w/ oil to keep the chain nice and tight if there is low oil pressure then the tensiner gets noisy!

Eurocar Inc :

an hello sorry for the delay!

Customer:

thats what my understanding was the thing is that i purchused a brand new oem one put it in and back to the same old problem

Customer:

its fine i tought you had left the chat room

Eurocar Inc :

i think the next step that is to drop the oil pan and see if the pickup screen is full of carbon debris

Eurocar Inc :

know issue

Eurocar Inc :

known issue for carbon / sludge buildup!!

Eurocar Inc :

also to check is the breather system make sure there are no leaks and oil residue on th ebreater parts if so then you have a leak then an inspection is needed to make sure that the lines are not clogged of carbon!

Customer:

there is no leaks and the car has 70K no sludge buildup i have receits from the preivious owner who had the oil changed religiously at 2,500

Customer:

pan was also dropped and the screen was clear of any gunk

Eurocar Inc :

if that is so then an oil pressure test is needed to see if you are getting correct pressure hot

Eurocar Inc :

i'm assuming that the noise happens more hot than cold right?

Customer:

preussure was also tested came in at 32 psi if im correct

Eurocar Inc :

when hot and idle or cold and idle?

Customer:

the noise is happening when i turn the car on once i rev it a little to 2k rpms and beyond the noise goes away.

Customer:

i believe hot and idle i have it written at home

Eurocar Inc :

when you changed the tensioner did you inspect the cam caps for excessive scoring!!

Customer:

ya i checked each and everyone of em and they all looked fine no scoring on any of em

Customer:

everything checked out fine tightend every piece to its correct spec

Eurocar Inc :

when the pan was down did the oil pump look newer ?

Customer:

no from what i have heard this are very good oil pumps they only fail when oil is extremely low or sludge has occoureed and neither has happend to this motor

Eurocar Inc :

rods and mains checked?

Customer:

ya everything is checking ok piston compression is good

Eurocar Inc :

did u check the rod bearings and the main bearings?

Eurocar Inc :

there is something that is bleeding off the pressure at idle

Eurocar Inc :

faults

Eurocar Inc :

excessive clearance of rod and main bearings

Eurocar Inc :

oil pump relief valve sticking partially open

Customer:

bearing clearence also checks out to be in spec

Eurocar Inc :

oil pistion squirters bleeding too much

Eurocar Inc :

did u use plastigauge ?

Customer:

if that would be so i would be burning the oil or leaking and its not doing either

Customer:

yes used plastigauge and it was double checled

Customer:

checked

Eurocar Inc :

did you use new rod bolts?

Eurocar Inc :

after checking the rods and the mains too?