Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL

How do I get the rear brake caliper piston to go back in on

Customer Question

How do I get the rear brake caliper piston to go back in on my 2008 Audi A6?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
The book says to press them in by hand? Have you tried that or have you tried a c-clamp?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know about the tool.

But the 2008 has a electronic sensor that seams to prevent the piston from going in. The dealer said the do it by computer.

Is there a way to by-pass?

I don't want to damage the caliper by forcing the piston.

I tried disconecting the electrical line, but the piston came out further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have experience with 2008 Audi's?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

I havent worked on that new of one yet.....But according to the repair manuals I'm looking at it there doesnt seem to be much to it.....There is a special too that is used to press in the piston but you should be able to do that with a C-clamp, here is a picture. Let me know if you have questions or if you would like me to opt-out so another expert to help that is fine.....But I dont see any problems with using a C-clamp.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I need to know how to by-pass the rear electronic sensor, so that the rear brake caliper's piston goes in to replace rear pads>
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you sure the piston or the electrical sensor won't be damaged?

I believe there should be a way to by-pass the sensor then the piston can be rotated in.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
The only sensor I see is the brake pad wear sensor......The piston doesnt need to be rotated, just pushed in.....The older models needed to be rotated. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wrong, the rear caliper has a sensor not the pad.

I need someone who has done it.

Can you get them on-line or ask?

Otherwise, I can't get my wheel back on the car!

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I've already opted-out......at this point you will just have to wait until someone jumps in......Or you could try to open another question. But I need to be the last to reply or question is locked to me only.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I still need to know how to retract the rear brake caliper piston on my 2008 Audi A6.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX cannot retract the piston on these without scanner to release the piston, you will need a VAS 5051 tool or equivalant, there is no other way to release the piston, without it, the piston wont go back in,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a fiend with a scaner.

Once I hook it up, what do I need to do to release the piston?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
you will need to go into the data stream and find the brake system and locate the basic setting, once this is selected, the piston should push back in, then when the brakes are on, you will have to push the reset piston button, these are electrically adjusted, and use a servo motor to adjust the pads,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's no other way to by-pass the electronics and manually get the piston in?
Expert:  Quattro King replied 3 years ago.
No there is no way to bypass the electronics. It is a mechanical system but it is electronically controlled.. Sorry but you are in need of a reset tool or scanner - there are aftermarket reset tools just starting to come out and I have not used one but I suspect they work. The cheapest one I have seen is $500.00 though.