Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician
Experience:  10 years in Vw and Audi Field
22815973

Audi: camshaft adjuster solenoids replaced..fault codes

I have been told by an Audi dealer that I need to have the "camshaft adjusters" or "camshaft adjuster solenoids" replaced because of wear. Their analysis is based on experience with the particular "ticking" noise the engine is making. There are no fault codes and no drive ability issues...just the noise. They said it did not need to be fixed immediately, but would cause compression to fail over time. They suggested fixing the issue when the timing belt is changed to help save on labor. However, the dealer only quoted "worst-case scenario" (which is basically replacing the engine). I want to find out how much it would be to replace those parts (separately and together) and where I can find the parts online (no luck searching). I have an 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro with 76,000 miles. Thanks!
Category: Audi
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!

Are both cam adjusters bad ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They said the passenger side indicated wear. This is from an inspection based on the sound and their experience. They said that can't tell if the adjuster, the solendoid or both need to be replaced without opening up the engine. Let me know if you need additional information. In addition to cost, I would appreciate having the part numbers for these items since I can't seem to find them anywhere. Thanks!
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 6 years ago.
More then likely you will not find the adjusters because they ate dealer items only . You will need the adjuster wich also comes with the solenoid all one piece . The adjuster is about $490 and about
$400 to install it by itself for the timing belt job you can find the parts at mjmautohaus.com they sell factory parts . Labor you are looking at about $700 for the installation of the belt and water pump . I hope this helps . Please font forget to click accept for my time and knowledge thanks .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So you're saying the adjuster is about $490 and labor would be about $400 (just to install the adjuster, right)? Is the adjuster the same thing as a "timing chain tensioner" (one site says it is)? If so, I can find those for about $590 online. Otherwise, I don't understand why this one particular part is dealer only. All other genuine parts can be found online. Am I missing something? Thanks!
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 6 years ago.
Yes the adjuster is the same as the cam chain tensioner.More then likely the part you found is a Audi part but sold online i thought you where looking for a aftermarket brand wich i dont recommend just the Audi brand.I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!