Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2001 audi s4: the transmission dip stick located..automatic trans

Where is the transmission dip stick located on a 2001 audi s4 automatic trans, and once found where to do fill it up at
Category: Audi
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX vehicle does not have a dipstick for checking the trans fluid, it is done from under the vehicle, i will post the procedure for checking and changing the fluid below,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), checking and changing

ATF level, checking

Special Tools and Equipment

VAS5051 tester with VAS5O51/1 diagnostic cable (or VAG 1551 scan tool with VAG 1551/3 cable)
VAG 13O6 drip tray
VAG 1924 ATF filler tool
Protective glasses

Note:Audi does not provide a method of checking the fluid level without the use of the above mentioned tools

Test requirements:

• Transmission must not be in emergency running mode.
  • Vehicle on level ground.
  • Selector lever in "P", let engine run at idle.
  • A/C system and heating switched off.
  • ATF temperature must not be higher than 30°C at start of test, allow transmission to cool down if necessary.

Notes:

• ATF level changes with ATF temperature.
  • Performing ATF level check when ATF temperature is too low causes overfilling.
  • Performing ATF level check when ATF temperature is too high causes insufficient filling.
  • Excess filling and insufficient filling both affect the function of the transmission.
  • An extra ATF check must be performed for vehicles with auxiliary ATF cooler page 37-138
  • The ATF temperature is read out by the VA5G051 tester or VAG1551 Scan Tool (ST).

Checking ATF temperature

- Connect VAS5051 tester to vehicle with VAS5051/1 diagnostic wire. Alternately, VAG 1551 Scan Tool (ST) can also be attached using VAG 1551/3 adapter.
- Start engine.

When indicated on display:
- Press buttons -0- and -8- to select "Read measuring value block" and press -Q- button to confirm input.

When indicated on display:
- Press buttons -0-, -0- and -4- to select display group "004" and press -Q- button to confirm input.

When indicated on display:
- Read ATF temperature in display field 1.

Checking and correcting ATF level

Notes:
ATF level is checked at the ATF check plug.
ATF level is correct if a little bit of fluid still escapes at the ATF check plug between 35 and 45°C* (dependant on the fluid level when warming up).

*For warm countries 50°C

- Secure container of VAG1924 ATF filler tool as high up on vehicle as possible.
- Raise vehicle.
- Place VAG13O6 drip tray under transmission.

WARNING: Wear protective glasses.

- Once an ATF temperature of 35°C is reached, remove ATF check plug -2- and drain excess ATF if necessary.
- If ATF exits from the ATF filler plug hole before the ATF reaches 40°C , the ATF level is OK.

Note: ATF check plug must be closed again by 45°C at the latest. For warm countries 50°C

- Add ATF if no ATF has escaped from the ATF check plug hole by 40°C .
- Insert VAG1924 ATF filler tool into an opening - 4- in the protective cap, but do not knock cap upward.
- Fill with ATF using VAG1924 ATF filler tool until ATF exits from the check hole.

- Always replace seal (arrow) for ATF check plug.
- Tighten ATF check plug to 80 Nm .
- Press button on VAGI551.
- Press buttons -0- and -6- to select "End output" and press -Q- button to confirm input.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where at on the car can you fill the transmission fuild
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
under the vehicle, on the trans pan, there is a plug, you fill it until it runs out the plug, but it has to be at temparature for the correct level,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I fount two plugs one one the driveside, about mid ways up the trans, then one on the bottom, the bottom one looks as if you would drain it from that one
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
there are 2 plugs on the pan, one large and one small, the small is for draining, and the large is for filling, look at the 7th picture above
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last question, what type of trans fuild does it take
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
VW ATF
VW Part no. G 052 162 A2 (1.0 liter)
Life time filled, Change oil only after repair or removal of oil pan.
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL