Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Service Manager

2003 A4: an electronic module that controls the cooling system that

Customer Question

The cooling fan on our 2003 A4 is staying on and running the battery down. I know that it designed to stay on for a few minutes after ignition off but it is staying on forever. As I understand it, there is an electronic module that controls the cooling system that needs to be replaced. The mechanic pulled the relay and the fuse and the fan continues to run. He assumes there is a short in the electronics module. Can you verify this diagnosis or suggest another possibility as to why the fan continues to run?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Tim West replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,

With the ignition key off, remove fuse 4 (from the fuse panel on the left end of the dash). If the fan stops, the fan and control unit are functioning correctly and the fan is being commanded on.
If the fan continues to run with fuse 4 removed then the fan module is shorted and needs to be replaced.

Any time there are trouble codes stored in the ECM associated with coolant temperature, the ECM will turn on the coolant fans as self protection against overheating. Clear the codes from the ECM and the coolant fans should turn off. It is a normal function that the cooling fans will remain operating for up to 18 minutes after the engine is shut off in this mode.
Using a full function Audi compatible scan tool check the Engine Control Module (ECM), Climatronic Module and the Instrument Cluster for any trouble codes and clear if found.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified Service Manager
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim,

I need some more help on this problem. The mechanic replaced the fan control module but it did not repair the problem. In checking the internet there are several reports of 2 relays being located in the ECM that control the fan control module. These relays can get shorted out if water gets into the ECM and will cause the fans to act erratically. Apparently this is fairly common because the ECM cover gets cracked or it doesn't get replaced correctly because some of the screws are difficult to access being under the plastic molding that surrounds the driver side windshield wiper arm.

The car is located in Colorado and I'm in California so I'm trying to diagnose and repair this via "remote control" using my daughter (car owner) and local shadetree mechanic. Any help appreciated.

Mike Harrigan XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Tim West replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Tim West replied 3 years ago.
graphic
I dont have much info on this,. but I have a wiring diagram and a location. Let me investigate somemore.graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did some checking at the local Audi dealer and found a knowledgeable mechanic who was willing to help out. He recommends that we replace 2 relays (both are P/N 8E0 951 253). Apparently these relays supply electricity to various engine sensors and other ancillary equipment. If they aren't working properly the ECU will default to a fan-on condition to avoid overheating. I'm hoping this resolves the problem and will know by Monday. Thanks for the help.