Quattro King
Quattro King, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 20+ yrs European experience
25695808

I need the timing belt alingment marks for the crankshaft and

Customer Question

I need the timing belt alingment marks for the crankshaft and camshafts for a 2004 AUDI A4 1.8 liter turbo engine.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!

Here is a picture that will help you out it shows the cam sprocket lined up with the vale cover notch and the cam pulley lined up with the cover right above it . I hop this helps.

Please dont forget to click accept for my time and knowledge this is the only way i get compensated for my time and knowledge thanks!

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The crank pulley on my car does not have a timing mark on the pulley like the one on the illustration.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
It has a notch on it they are all like this look closely when turning the crank pulley .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I will do so tomorrow and get back to you then, if I don't find the notch I will take a picture of the pulley and send it to you.

thanks

Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
Ok no problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, I found the notch on the pulley but I can't find any mark on the engine or front cover to relate the notch to, where is the mark that has to be aline with the notch on the crank pulley?

thanks

Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
Right above the crank pulley on the black cover there is a small dimple that it aligns to you can see it from the top you may need a mirror. I hope this helps.

Please do not forget to click the accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and knowledge!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Already installed the timing belt with the marks that you said but I am having a problem, the engine starts but it takes to long to do so, in other words you have to crank it a lot for it to start and the scanner gives me a code for the camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction but I already tried with another sensor from a friend's car and the problem is still the same, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
The vehicle is out of time the belt was installed incorrectly you will need to recheck your timing marks more then likely you are out of time and this is why the code shows up. Please dont forget to click ACCEPT for all the advice given on this issue thanks !!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>I double check the timing marks for any mistake and the camshaft gear and crankshaft pulley are both set the way the illustration shows, one thing is that if I start the engine and turn it off and immediately turn it on again it starts ok but if I let the engine off for a couple of minutes then it is hard to start back again, the code is cleared by the scanner and it sets right back as a pending code as soon as I start the engine.</p>
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
Please provide me the fault # ??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
P0341 Camshaft position sensor A circuit range performance(bank 1 or single sensor)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
since my car is a manual transmission are there any timing marks on the flywheel? is there a method to check this timing without disassembling the transmission from the engine like a cover or something that can be remove to check the timing on the flywheel?
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
Do me a favor post pictures of your timing marks lined up at the crank and the cam for me to see if you are in time because there faults where not there before you did the timing belt. You will not be able to see the mark by the trans too hard to locate we always use the marks on the crank and cam like i have stated previously something was done wrong .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I will get back to you tomorrow morning.

thanks

Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can you please give me your e-mail so I can send you the pictures because of the size of the images its impossible to do it through justanswer?

thanks

Expert:  Audi0405 replied 4 years ago.
Sorry we are not able to provide our email its against policy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok so you have to trust me that the timing marks are dead on, besides this engine is very simple to do this alignment for the timing marks, I am not a certified mechanic but I have done this type of work in more complex engine with good results, with this car I was hoping that with your experience in this type of car you could help me with the problem and I am positive that the timing marks are all dead on aligned......I believe it has something to do with the ECU or some module because I have already check for the sensor's circuit and all wires and connectors to and from the sensor, also tried with a camshaft sensor from another Audi A4 that is running fine and the code is still present.

thanks

Expert:  Quattro King replied 4 years ago.

I will just chime in for what it is worth. I will not doubt your mechanical ability but myself and audi0405 have many years of experience fixing other shops mis-timed 1.8t engines. Let me put it to you this way - Was the fault there before the timing belt repair? Also the timing marks are never dead on. I find that my crank will be right on and my camshaft is about 1/2 tooth before the mark on the valve cover. I have only done maybe 500 or so of these in the past 10 years so and I have put 2 of them together out of time resulting in a cam sensor fault. I have to ask you to double check your timing and if the cam is after tdc you are off. This accounts for the hard start and all --- trust us you are out of time!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maybe my words were misunderstood please forgive me if I sounded harsh, what I was trying to say is that the marks are aligned, I will try tomorrow to make the pictures smaller so they can fit thru justanswer and send them to you.

sorry and thanks

Ok - I am going to try and be nice. I am yelling at you right now - YOU ARE NOT TIMED CORRECTLY. RETIME THE ENGINE AND THE FAULT WILL GO AWAY. THIS IS NOT A HONDA OR TOYOTA WHERE CLOSE IS OK. THIS IS A GERMAN CAR AND IT HAS TO BE RIGHT ON. EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID INDICATES IT IS OUT OF TIME. We don't need to see the pictures - the only other thing that could be wrong is the cam gear has turned. Did the camshaft seize in the head or did you use this bolt to turn the engine over with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

graphicgraphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Ok the lower mark should be straight up and down on the crankshaft. Where you have it marked I cannot see the dimple. Look straight down from the top and see the dimple and line up your marks. Your crankshaft is not at tdc and the cam is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The small dimple on the black cover is lined up with the notch on the crankshaft pulley

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think I should try lining the notch on the crank pulley straight up(perpendicular to the ground)? In this case the notch on the pulley and the small dimple on the black metal cover wouldn't be aligned any more, please reply to let me know what you think.

I think you need to pull the valve cover and at the rear of the head you will find 2 marks on the rear cam caps. They look like arrowheads. With the engine on tdc there are notches on the camshafts that should align with these arrow heads. The notches are on the timing gear side of the caps. Check this and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took the cover off and check the notches on the rear of the camshafts and they are aligned with the arrowheads on the cam caps so I am now positive the camshafts are well aligned base on this, the notch on the crank pulley is align with the small dimple on the black cover, please reply to let me know what do you think I should do.

thanks

Has the head been off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, all 20 valves intake and exhaust were replaced with new ones.

OK Now then with the valve cover off we need to count the timing chain pins between the 2 cam timing notches in the head. see attached and the lines are basically straight up.

A15-0024
Note
t Do not mark chain using a center punch or similar means!
t The distance between both arrows or colored markings consists of 16 rollers of the drive chain.
A15-0068
<TABLE einzug-standard abstand-standard ">
- Secure camshaft adjuster using -3366-.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you please send me the illustrations again because I can't see them?

thanks

Ok - we will try this again.

Camshafts and Camshaft Adjuster
Special tools and workshop equipment required
t Bracket For Chain Adjustment -3366-
→ Electronic Parts Catalog "ETKA"
Removing
→ Chapter „Lock Carrier, Moving into Service Position".
→ Chapter „Toothed Belt, Removing from Camshaft Sprocket".
- Remove camshaft pulley.
A13-0381
- Remove cylinder head cover. Refer to → Chapter „Cylinder Head Cover".
- Remove camshaft position sensor housing as well as the washer and trim for the sensor.
A15-0128
l The two camshaft markings must align with both arrows on bearing caps.
If re-using the old drive chain:
A15-0213
l The distance between both -arrows- or colored markings consists of 16 rollers of the drive chain.
Note
Do not mark chain using a center punch or similar means!
Re-using all chains:
A15-0193
Note
If the chain tensioner retainer is fastened too tightly, the camshaft adjuster can be damaged.
A15-0017
- First remove bearing covers -3 and 5- for the intake and exhaust camshaft.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still not getting the images, if you could attached them and send them to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX or XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX please. I don't know why they aren't getting through justanswer.

We cannot send outside of just answer and I am not allowed to see your e-mail address. The long and short of it is the chain needs to have 16 rollers/pins between the timing notches on the back of camshafts where the chain is. Draw an imaginary line straight up to the pins and see where you are. Count them and let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I will do so and get back to you then.

thanks

ok

How are you doing?

Quattro King, Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified, 20+ yrs European experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Problem solved thanks...................

Was it the cam chain? I have gotten reman factory vw/audi heads that this was not correct on. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it was the cam chain, really apreciate your help with this...

Good to know - thanks.