Michael Miller
Michael Miller, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician. Audi certified, including R8 and TDI (clean diesel).

Audi: A4..inspected..a ticking noise and it sounds more like a diesel

Are Audi FSI Engines normally quite loud?

Took my A4 into Audi because I thought there was what seemed like 'top end' valve train noise. The Audi Service Desk person initially told me it was possibly a minor exhaust leak, but they inspected everything today and said there is no issue and that the FSI Engines are supposed to sound this way. I can here a ticking noise and it sounds more like a diesel rather than a petrol engine to me. But I've only had it for 3 months (and never owned an Audi before) so I don't know what an Audi is supposed to normally sound like. I used to own an Alfa 156 2.0 T Spark and the engine sounded sweet. I was expecting similar (or better) from Audi, but maybe that's how they are.

Model & Variant is: 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro (S-Line) MY06 upgrade. I've been running it on 95 or 98 RON Petrol as recommended by Audi. Had Engine Oil top up on it last week aswell (after low level indication) and they checked it today so see if any oil leaks but nothing found.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help you in any way I can.

Yes, FSI engines are noisier than MPI engines. Allow me to explain. Old MPI engines had their fuel injected at the base of the intake manifold and generally had lower compression ratios. Audi figured out how to inject gasoline directly into the combustion chamber. This required a heavy duty fuel injector, an insane amount of fuel pressure (like 100 bar compared to only 3 bar for MPI systems), and higher compression ratios. This is how diesel engines operate as well. The benefit is a 15 -20% increase in BOTH horsepower and fuel economy. This technology can be found on other cars as well (Mazda, Ford, etc.) and all of them are noisier compared to their MPI counterparts - it is just the nature of the design.

If Audi states that your engine is healthy, then it probably is. You are not the first person to be concerned about the increased noise of a direct-injected gasoline engine. Your vehicle still has the original design 2.0T (the first 4 cylinder engine that had direct-injection). The newer 2.0T launched in 2009 is a tad quieter due to improved acoustics and Audi managed to squeeze even more horsepower and fuel efficiency out of that unit.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.