Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

how do I change the transmission on a Audi A4 1.8T, do I have

how do I change the transmission on a Audi A4 1.8T, do I have to remuve the k frame
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,how are you?Is this an automatic?And what year?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes automatic
And what year is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2000
  1. Note the radio security code.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the engine trim covers.
  4. On 1.8L engines, attach engine support Tool Nos. 10-222A/3, 10-222A and 10-222A/1 between the engine and the inner fenders and support the engine.
  5. On 2.8L V6 engines, attach engine support Tool Nos. 2024A, 10-222A and 10-222A/1 between the engine and the inner fenders and support the engine.
  6. Loosen the outer axle mounting bolts and front wheel lug bolts, BEFORE lifting and supporting the vehicle.
  7. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  8. Remove the front wheels.
  9. Remove the lower engine shield.
  10. Remove the axle noise insulation brackets and trays and the right axle protective plate.
  11. Remove the halfshafts.
  12. Disconnect the electrical connectors for the multi-function switch, transmission wiring, and the speedometer speed sensor.

NOTE Turn the lock-ring counterclockwise to disconnect the transmission wire connector.
  1. Matchmark the gear selector cable bracket where it attaches the transmission housing and remove the bracket.
  2. Remove the front half of the exhaust system making sure to disconnect any electrical connectors as necessary.
  3. On 2.8L V6 engines, remove the alternator cooling duct, then disconnect the starter and alternator wires from the guide bracket and remove the alternator.
  4. Place a suitable drain pan under the transmission and remove the ATF cooling lines from the transmission and seal the lines and the transmission.
  5. Remove the gear selector cable from the selector shaft.
  6. Remove the starter motor allowing access to the torque converter mounting bolts.
  7. Remove the torque converter mounting bolts rotating the engine as necessary to access the bolts through the starter drive gear opening.
  8. Remove the lower engine-to-transmission mounting bolts.
  9. Support the transmission with a suitable transmission jack.
  10. Remove the left and right support mounts and support plates.
  11. Remove the multi-function switch and cover its installation hole.
  12. Matchmark the subframe to the under body and remove all the subframe-to-body mounting bolts EXCEPT the front two bolts just in front of and to the outside the sway bar mounts. Loosen those two bolts three revolutions each allowing the rear of the subframe to drop about 5 7 / 8 inches (150mm).
  13. Lower the transmission jack slightly to gain access to the top transmission-to-engine mounting bolts and remove the bolts.
  14. Press the transmission from the engine while pressing the torque converter from the drive plate. Press the torque converter against the transmission pump and secure the torque converter to prevent it from coming out.
  15. Pivot the rear of the transmission downward between the subframe and the underbody, then lower the transmission from the engine.
    1. Guide the transmission between the subframe and the vehicle aligning the transmission with the engine.
    2. Install the upper transmission-to-engine mounting bolts and torque to 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm).
    3. Raise the transmission and engine and install the subframe making sure to align the matchmarks made during disassembly.
    4. Torque the subframe as follows:
    1. Install the left, then the right transmission supports and mounts.
    2. Install the lower transmission-to-engine bolts and torque as follows:
    1. Tighten the torque converter bolts, rotating the crankshaft as necessary to access the threaded holes.
    2. Torque converter to drive plate: 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm)
    3. Install the halfshafts. DO NOT tighten the outer mounting bolt until the vehicle is resting on the ground.
    4. The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal noting the following component torque.
    5. ATF line-to-transmission: 15ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
    6. Bracket for ATF line: 84 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
    7. Halfshaft-to-transmission: 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm)
    8. Wheel bolts to wheel hub: 89ft. lbs. (120 Nm)
    9. Upon assembly, check the final drive oil level and the transmission fluid level and top off as necessary.
  1. To install:

Subframe-to-body:

M8 bolt (replace): 17ft. lbs. (23 Nm) M10 bolt (replace): 44ft. lbs. (60 Nm) M12 bolt (replace): Step 1: 81ft. lbs. (110 Nm) Step 2: 90° ( 1 / 4 turn)

Transmission-to-engine bolts:

M10: 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) M12: 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)

Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
to Top off the fluid have to be dun thruw the big drain plug on the oil pan with a pump?
Yes this is correct,also make sure that the vehicle is level.
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic