Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

what causes an intermittent vibration in the steering wheel

what causes an intermittent vibration in the steering wheel on my '93 audi 90? Wheels have just been balanced
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Hi,how are you?When the wheels were balanced,did the shop mention if all the wheels balanced out evenly?Meaning did any of the rims need more weights than the others.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Not 100% sure but they did mention RF wheel had a flat spot, so they rotated it to the rear. The LF wheel was quite hot compared to the RF when I just took the car for a drive as well, would that be related at all?

Yes,the flat spot in particular whether it is on the front or the rear is going to cause a vibration in the steering wheel.This would be more noticeable on the front,but will still be an issue on the rear.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh ok, what about the excessive heat on the FL wheel?
The heat generally occurs from thin or worn tread patterns in the tire.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the tires only have 15000 kms on them. I read something about the control arms being worn on newer A4s, do you think this could be a possibility? Also, I'm confused with the wheel flat spot being the issue, because the vibration is worse sometimes then it seems to go away.

Yes the control arms could cause this sort of issue,as can flat spots in the tires.The best thing to do to be sure is to run by a shop and have the vehicle lifted in the air to check out the front end and tires.