Michael Miller
Michael Miller, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician. Audi certified, including R8 and TDI (clean diesel).
30107224

2001 Audi A6: automatic..dealership..manually..these headlights

my 2001 Audi A6 automatic headlight leveler light has come on, I called my dealership and they said it could cost between $40-300 to diagnose and or fix the problem. Is there any way to just manually adjust these headlights and not worry about the automatic sensor? or is there a cheap way to diagnose the problem myself and possibly fix it? thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Michael Miller replied 6 years ago.

The automatic headlamps on a 2001 A6 are controlled by a module. This module sets the warning light that you are seeing in the instrument cluster when there is a fault stored in the control module. The first step is to connect an Audi compatible scan tool and check for faults. Faults can be related to things like corroded wiring, failed headlamps, failed control module, and failed level sensors. I would recommend you check the level sensors first. They are located on the front and rear lower control arms on the driver side of the vehicle. The sensors can get damaged easily.

After the diagnosis and repair, a scan tool will be needed to carry out basic settings. This teaches the control module the position of the headlights.

I hope this helps.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 4/6/2010 at 1:35 PM EST