OnlineMechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  3 years Autozone Manager, 10 years Mechanic

2000 Audi a6: 2.7 turbo with 97,000 miles..accelerating..low speeds

I have a 2000 Audi a6 2.7 turbo with 97,000 miles. I've owned it for the last 30,000 with virtually no problems other than ordinary brake issues. Recently, however, I've noticed that when I'm stuck in traffic it will moan when I'm accelerating at low speeds. It doesn't do it every time. I've never noticed it at high speeds. Any thoughts?
Category: Audi
Expert:  OnlineMechanic replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Did the check engine light come on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does the light ever flash or is it on steady?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
steady......the check engine light was on before I noticed this problem. It has been on a couple of weeks or so. I initially noticed no change in the performance of the car. I checked people's comments on the internet about the check engine light and a couple of people wrote not to be overyly concerned if the car's performance had not changed.The groaning I mentioned is the only change in the car's functioning since the light came on. When the car groans there is no change in acceleration or steering. I tried to detect any vibration in the car but could not. I drove it a few minutes ago about a mile or so at 30 mph and paid close attention to any noises, however, I didn't hear anything. The car runs almost like new. It's quiet, handles well, transmission shifts perfectly, and the acceleration is very good.

Thank you.

Yes if the performance does not change and the light does not flash there is no real immediate concern. However the fact that there is a moan there you should have the light checked out.

The check engine light indicates that the cars computer has found a fault in the system and stored it. It is ready to be retrieved ( the light comes on). Now you need to run an OBDII scan to find out what the computer has found. This can typically costs $90, however most parts stores will do it for free. Simply ask for an OBDII scan and print out. The print out will tell you what you need to repair/replace.