Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

how do you remove rear speakers in audi a4 quattro 2001

Customer Question

Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi,how are you?

Removal & Installation

WARNING The speaker grills are attached to the door panel and cannot be removed without removing the door panel.
Dash Mounted

1. If the speaker grille is secured with fasteners, remove the fasteners.
  2. If the speaker grille is a snap fit into the dash assembly, carefully remove the speaker grille using a plastic pry tool, or protect the trim with a paint stirring stick or wooden ruler and use a suitable pry tool to remove the grille.
  3. If the speaker is secured with fasteners, remove the fasteners.
  4. If the speaker is a snap fit into the dash assembly, carefully remove the speaker using a plastic pry tool, or protect the trim with a paint stirring stick or wooden ruler and use a suitable pry tool to remove the speaker.
  5. Disconnect the speaker's electrical connector.
  6. Installation is in reverse order of removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Use a wooden paint stirrer under a suitable pry tool to prevent any scratches along the trim of the dashboard

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. On press fit speakers use a small pry tool that has a blunt edge to release them

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Once released, pull the speaker from the dash

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Detach the wiring and remove the speaker

Door Mounted

If the speaker is mounted in/on the door panel, the door panel must be removed to access the speaker.

1. Remove the door panel. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Body And Trim, Interior, Door Panels.
  2. If the speaker is retained with self tapping Phillips screws, remove the mounting screws.
  3. If the speaker is retained with rivets, drill out the rivets.
  4. Partially remove the speaker then disconnect the speaker's electrical connector.
  5. Installation is in reverse order of removal. On units with riveted speakers, make sure to use the proper fitting rivets.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. With the door panel removed, the speaker can be replaced. This 1998 1.8L Passat speaker is riveted in place

Mirror Trim Mounted Speakers

Some models use a mirror trim mounted High-range (tweeter) speaker as part of the entertainment system. To access these speakers proceed as follows.

2. Using a suitable pry tool, preferably a soft plastic trim removal tool, release the top of the trim from the door frame.
  3. Then release the pressed in bottom trim fasteners and remove the trim assembly.
  4. Disconnect the speaker wiring and remove the insulation to access the speaker.
  5. Installation is in reverse order of removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Use a plastic trim pry tool to release the trim from the door frame

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Once the trim is removed, lift the insulation away to access the speaker

Removal & Installation

Door Panel
Audi A4

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the door handle shell and panel mounting screws: door handle screw (1), door handle (2), panel mounting screws (3), and door panel (4)

1. Remove handle mounting screw (1)
  2. Pull handle shell downward out of door trim (2)
  3. Remove panel mounting screws (3).

Vehicles with manual window crank:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing manual window crank

1. Press the flat side of a flathead screwdriver in the direction of the arrow.
  2. Rotate the screwdriver in the direction of the arrow.
  3. Pull off the cover in direction of the arrow.

To install

Installation in reverse order of removal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The information you gave me was of no help at all cause my rear speakers are not located on the back doors but up at the back window so i really hope im not gettin charged 19 dollars for the answer i recieved

Hi,you do not get charged unless you click accept,thanks.