Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+Years

How do I replace the vehicle speed sensor on a 2002 audi a6

Customer Question

Category: Audi
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

the Vehicle speed sensor is in the transmission

click here to view the full procedure to remove and replace the speed sensor

let me know if you need more help

thanks

Paul M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Paul

I see the diagram how do i get to the sensor? Do I remove the heat shield? Please Help

the speed sensor is near where the axle meets the transmission flange.

there may be a heat shield blocking it

you should be able to locate it by checking the diagram

let me know if you need more help

thanks

Paul M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Paul,

Do you go in from the top or the bottom?

It may be easier to go in from the bottom by hacking up the car and removing one of the wheels..

from the looks of it you will be better off jacking up the car and putting it on a jack stand and go in from underneith

thanks

Paul M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Paul

I have a pit i have been underneath and on top, have you ever done this repair?

I have done many of these repairs.

I work on all makes and models I am not specific to any vehicle

the sensor comes into the transmission just above where the axle flange comes out in the picture

are you having trouble locating it?

Paul M.

I found another image

and yes it says the shield needs to be removed

click here for the new image I found

let me know if you locate it

thanks

Paul M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes

check my last post it has the image of the sensor on the driver side of the transmission behind the shield.. this image says with shield removed

actually I will add it here again. click here to view

so remove the shield near the driver side axle flange and you should see the sensor

thanks

Paul M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I asked how to replace the speed sensor in a 2002 Audi A6. The mechanic showed me a diagram but was clueless on how to get the the sensor. The location was apparent the methodology is what I requested.