OnlineMechanic
OnlineMechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  3 years Autozone Manager, 10 years Mechanic

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Oil sensor light illuminated. Is the oil temp

Customer Question

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Oil sensor light illuminated. Is the oil temp and oil level the same sensor?
Category: Audi
Expert:  OnlineMechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

That light indicates a low oil pressure, which is the oil pressure switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Maybe I wasn't clear. The Oil Sensor light I am seeing is yellow, with an oil-can icon. Dealer service says the oil-pressure warning is a red light, and serious. Dealer says the yellow Oil Sensor light is for oil level, that's not quite not right. A different yellow light, an oil can with the word MIN illuminates for that. Since my oil-temp gauge never moves, I am thinking maybe the level and temp sensor are the same sensor, with two read-outs., and a wiring fault makes the temp gauge inoperative, triggering the sensor light. Is there a separate oil temp sensor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear OnlineMechanic:
I got your answer but I do not feel like paying for it because I believe you were mistaken. Oil Pressure Sensor, which you suggested, is supposed to trigger a red warning light, not the yellow Sensor light I mentioned. The yellow Sensor light is one of two yellow messages having to do with oil: oil level and oil temp. My question had to do with weather those two measurements come from the same sensor, the one at the bottom of the pan, or whether there is a second sensor for temp. Another site expert here told me that temp and level are both generated from the same gizmo, the one at the bottom of the sump. Sorry if I wasted your time.