JOE AUDI
JOE AUDI, MASTER TECHNICIAN
Experience:  25 PLUS YEARS AS TECHNICIAN, AUDI MASTER TECHNICIAN
18349415

2000 Audi TT Quattro. Right rear lower control arm failed,

Customer Question

2000 Audi TT Quattro. Right rear lower control arm failed, and was replaced. This has now happened three times in twelve months. Normal driving, normal roads. My local mechanic can't figure out why it keeps happening.
Category: Audi
Expert:  eauto replied 7 years ago.
is he using factory or aftermarket control arm
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think all three replacements have been from Audi.
Expert:  eauto replied 7 years ago.
how is the rear stut on that side? was it aligned when it was done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Don't know anything about the strut, but my mechanic is the kind of guy who would have noticed if the strut was bad. The car was aligned after the first control arm failure, and it was aligned again after the third failure. The people who did the alignment reported no problems.
Expert:  eauto replied 7 years ago.
is he using a torq wrench and tightening to spec? If it is over or under tightened it will cause premature failure. I would also look at the strut for signs of leakage
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I'll ask him about that.
Expert:  eauto replied 7 years ago.
here is a recall also
Recall 99V300000: Suspension/Steering Control Problem

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. In sharp high speed turns or abrupt lane change maneuvers at speeds substantially above posted speed limits, and depending upon road conditions, precise steering response may be demanded to retain directional stability.

In the event control is lost, a crash may occur resulting in injury.

Dealers will replace the front stabilizers in front drive Audi TT's and the front and rear stabilizers in Audi TT's equipped with Quattro drive. A modified control arm will be installed in front together with firmer shock absorbers in front and rear. In addition Audi will install a rear spoiler.

Owner notification began May 8, 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Audi at 1-800-822-2834. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yeah, the recall's been done.

Not accepting, because you didn't solve my problem.
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 7 years ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX expert here at Just Answer. The bushing that the control arm connects to is seized and causing the hub assembly to bind. Thus the weakest link is the control arm and it breaks. Have your technician check the metal spherical bushing and I am SURE that he will find that is seized.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer,

Joe.

JOE AUDI, MASTER TECHNICIAN
Experience: 25 PLUS YEARS AS TECHNICIAN, AUDI MASTER TECHNICIAN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sounds like a good tip. I'm going over to the shop tomorrow. We'll see what they find.
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 7 years ago.

You are welcome, let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The shop was too busy today. I have to check in with them later in the week.
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 7 years ago.

OK. No problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Frank's Auto, Sacramento CA, confirmed today that the bearing is frozen, as you described.