JOE AUDI
JOE AUDI, MASTER TECHNICIAN
Experience:  25 PLUS YEARS AS TECHNICIAN, AUDI MASTER TECHNICIAN

How do I adjust the rear camber on my 2001 Audi tt. If it is

Customer Question

How do I adjust the rear camber on my 2001 Audi tt. If it is not possible then what product do I buy to adjust that
camber?
Category: Audi
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 4 years ago.

Hi Judy, my name isXXXXX have a couple of things that don't add up. The axle will have nothing to do with an alignment. It will not effect any angle or adjustment.

As for the camber, it is adjusted by turning an eccentric bolt on the outer portion of the rear lower control arm. The adjustment will be done when the car is on the alignment machine. There is no special tool for camber. There is a special tool to help in the adjustment of rear toe, but the alignment shop should have if they work on Audis.

There is nothing for you to buy. If the rear camber cannot be adjusted in to specification then there is something wrong. Like; bent part, broken spring, etc.

Thankyou for choosing Just Answer,

Joe.

JOE AUDI, MASTER TECHNICIAN
Experience: 25 PLUS YEARS AS TECHNICIAN, AUDI MASTER TECHNICIAN
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 4 years ago.

Judy, I have to apologize. I made a mistake. Your car does NOT have the eccentric bolt. Sorry.

Also, if you do not have a Quattro rear camber is NOT adjustable.

The bar that I reffered too is necessary for the toe and CAMBER to be set. It can be done without it but it is difficult.

Still, if the camber can not be set, then something is wrong.

Sorry about the slip up. Please forgive me.

Joe.

Edited by JOE AUDI on 10/23/2009 at 4:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well obviously the camber can not be set or I wouldn't have written you. I have a tt Roadster. What I asked
was there a part I can buy and where can I buy it that will make it possible to adjust this camber which is
off on both rear wheels by at least 2 degrees.
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 4 years ago.

The TT comes in Front wheel drive and Quattro (all wheel drive). The Front wheel drive has no provision for rear adjustment.

The Quattro does have a provision for adjustment, and that is carried out by the person aligning your car.

The specification for the TT is negative 2.0 degrees of camber plus or minus 20 minutes. For each side. So you are saying that you have -4.0 degress per side?

If the proper camber cannot be achieved then there is a problem with your car. The most common is a rear spring being broken or worn out.

There are a lot of after market products (shims, plates and in some cases bolts) but these are for performance based cars. Meaning someone lowered their car and they need to bring the camber to a reasonable angle, like to stop tire wear.

If you have not lowered your car and don't plan too, then the rear springs are most likely the cause of the of the camber being a problem.

Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 4 years ago.

Are you saying that the rear "beam" needs replaced because you have a front wheel drive car?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thought that I had an Audi tt Roadster not a Quattro. I want to adjust the camber on both rear wheels .
They are off on each side by 2 degrees. That is 2 degrees on each wheel and it is wearing out tires like
crazy. They wear only on the inside 2 inches because of this camber. Can you suggest a cure.
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 4 years ago.
Judy, the Roadster comes with front wheel drive (Front Trac) and all wheel drive (Quattro). Look at your glove box and if it doesn't say Quattro, then you have front wheel drive. Let me know and I will help you take care of the tire wear problem. Joe.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does NOT say Quattro. So I have a front wheel drive car. Now, how do I stop the excessive wear on those
rear wheels.
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 4 years ago.

OK. The rear axle is basically a pipe, we call it a beam. Anyway, there is no adjustment that your alignment shop can do. If the suspension, trailing arms and springs are OK, then the rear "axle" needs to be inspected to make sure it is not damaged. This is what the shop that did the alignment is saying, that the rear axle is damaged, Right?

You will need to make sure that it is not bent. If that is why the shop wants to replace it, then you need to replace it.

I do not recommend making any modifications (plates, shims or eccentric bolts) to a bent part. If the rear "axle" is not bent then the most likely cause is the springs are either not the original springs, someone lowered the car or the springs are weak.

There is a measurement that needs to be made. Measure from the center of the rear wheel to the rear fender lip (directly vertical). The distance will be, between 352 mm and 382 mm. At the lowest number the camber is allowed to be -2 degrees and 10 minutes. At the highest number (382mm) the camber is allowed to be -1 degree and 10 minutes.

You can see the big difference ride height plays in the camber settings.

If your springs are bad you will be wearing out the inside edges of your rear tires.

The shims that are installed on the rear axle are for performance (race) cars. I do not recommend them for your car.

Measure the rear ride height like I explained above and let me know.

Joe.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems as though someone did lower the car. It only measures about 335mm. So what do I do now. Do
I check to see if the springs are O.K. and if they are O.K. then what? I'm assuming that they rear axel
is not bent because they didn't show me anything about that. If the car has been lowered can I put it back
to its original height? It seems most likely that it is the Springs doesn't it. I will be sure and have them
check those first.
Expert:  JOE AUDI replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it most likely is the springs. They could be;
1) broken.
2) weak or collapsed.
3) aftermarket lowering springs.
For all three of these sceneros you can use Audi factory replacement springs. They will return your car to normal ride height and stop the rear tires from wearing. Note: for the 3rd scenerio, you will need to buy front springs as well. If you car was lowered then the front was done also. I recommend that you have an Audi shop look it over. You may be able to source the springs online through Audi factory wholesalers. Google audi oem parts.
Thanks Joe.
JOE AUDI, MASTER TECHNICIAN