Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs

1999 Audi A6 Quattro: Check engine..codes of P1138 Long Term Fuel Trim

Customer Question

Daughter has a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L. The symptoms are:
Check engine light
OBDII shows codes of P1138 Long Term Fuel Trim Add Fuel Bank 1 System Too Lean.
P1138 same as above except Bank 2.
P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow).
Also the freeze frame was for P1138 and showed Engine Coolant Temperature as being -40F. Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 as being 3.13%, Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 as -2.34%, Short Bank 2 2.34%, Long Bank 2 -4.69%.
Also, when she fills up the tank the car wont start until she waits a few minutes and then pumps the peddle a lot.
What I have done: Replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, blow tested the gas cap (vents in but not out as I believe it should.
O.K. I'm done, hope someone can help.
Jeff
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.

replace the canister purge valve mounted on the air cleaner !!!

i bet the old valve u can blow through it!!!!

what scan tool are u using?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will check the valve tomorrow. I am using an Innova Model 3100C OBD2 Code Reader.

Jeff
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.

CAN U GET LIVE DATA READINGS AND PERFORM BASIC SETTINGS?

IF NOT SURE PLEASE CHECK INTO IT!!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi me again,
sorry I haven't accepted yet. I'm kinda slow and have a little question to add. I have attached a picture. Which one is the canister valve? The black one with 3 ends or the green one with 2. I have labeled them 1 and 2 in the pic. There is just so much going on under the hood of that car.....:)
Thanks for the patience.
Jeffgraphic
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.

neither!!!

look where the air cleaner is at ! ait filter area !!

there is a valve that is located on the top with a connector w/ 2 wires

that is the canister purge valve!!!

you find it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found it !! See attached pics. Thanks for the directions. What's with the one time use hose clamps? I have regular ones to replace with. Really, I am not totally new to cars, but this car buries me. Anyway, I cannot blow either way through the valve. Do I need to have power on it to see if it even switches? Anyway where do I go from here.
Oh, thanks for all the help, when this is fixed it will be more than a $15 help.
Thanks again and eagerly awaiting,

Jeffgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.

GOOD POSSIBILITY IT IS STICKING SLIGHTLY OPEN AT TIMES

ALSO CEHCK THE PLASTIC BREATHER TUBE FOR CRACKS!!!

PLEASE PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON FOR THE CONSULTATION GIVEN

DEPOSITS DOES NOT PAY ME FOR THE TIME TO HELP U OUT!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK !!!