Louis Gutierrez
Louis Gutierrez, Technician
Experience:  Expert technician through Audi Academi

2001 audi a6: 2.8l wont start - It..start back..stalls..cold weather

My 2001 audi a6 2.8l wont start - It turns over but won't crank. Usually after I push it off the road it will start back up and then it stalls out when i come to anything but a very slow stop. I have read some other answers but they have to do with cold weather and i live in florida.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Louis Gutierrez replied 7 years ago.
Well, from your xplanation on the top look like the car has a problem with the fuel filter or the fule pump going bad, but from your explanation on the bottom seems like either the crank sensor might be bad or even the instrument cluster been bad, The instrument cluster reads all the modules which it might explain why the coolant stil;l reading hot, I really need to know wat kind of fault codes are in the system if possible bring the car to a parts dept and ask them to read the fault codes for you and then give me your VIN and the fault codes.. Let me know..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
p1602 - power supply term 30, p0117 - coolant temp sensor, p0150 - oxygen sensor bank 2 #1, p0130 - oxygen sensor bank 1 #1
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry, those codes were from the first ecm which was bad and replaced...for the newer ecm it was a coolant system malfunction code (p12**, sorry not sure exactly which one) and a catalst system malfunction. VIN WAUBH64B61N081619
The power supply fault is only because you disconected the ecm, now the other two can be cause by a bad MAF sensor, which can also cause hessitation while driving, I really need the actual fault codes so I can provide you with better information on it.. Let me know.. By the way Im checking all this now with your VIN and for the and the malfiuntion on the newer ecm is P1296 coolant temp sensor make sure they put the right coolant temp sensor should be green is under the airhose that comes from the air box. Now there is one more thing I have to tell you to check on the 2.8L the throttle body tend to get really dirty and cause some of the syntoms that your car have so just to get that out of the way make sure the throttle is clean if you supect this one to be dirty take the car to the dealer and ask them to run an intake carbon cleaner which will get rid of all the dirt on the air system.. Try check ing this out and let me know,...