Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

2001 Audi A4: sedan..1.8T..The air conditioner..pressure gauge

I have a 2001 Audi A4 sedan (1.8T engine). The air conditioner is not blowing cold air.   I've purchased a recharging unit from Pep Boys (Arctic Freeze refrigerant 134a+ with pressure gauge), but am having trouble finding my vehicles A/C low pressure port. Can you help me find it?

Using online resources, I think I've possibily identified the low pressure port -- in the engine compartment, near the passenger side of the battery, I've identified two aluminum tubes that are leading from condensor. I can't tell which of these two tubes might be the low pressure port.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes I can help you.

You can not simply "add" refrigerant to the system. It should be evacuated, put in a state of vacuum, and recharged. This is not a DIY repair as it requires special equipment. Also, if the charge is low enough to not cool the air, there is a leak which again requires special equipment to diagnose the leak. I believe you found one port by the battery, the other is in front of the radiator at the condenser on the right (passenger) side. The ports (high/low) are different sizes so they can not be mixed up. Some vehicles only had one port and the system can be serviced through the one.

I suggest you take this to a qualified A/C repair shop for diagnosis and repair. Chances of a DIY repair succeeding are slim.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the “ACCEPT” button by THIS answer.

Thank You!
Jake “The Audi Doctor”
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I agree, I'll probably end up taking it to the repair shop.

Since I've already purchased the recharging unit I've decided that I'll give it a try first.

I was unable to find the port on in front of the radiator. Can you breifly describe where it might be? Can you also clarify if that would be a low or a high pressure port?

If I'm unable to identify the port in front of the radiator, can you help me to determine which of the two aluminum tubes near the battery are the low-pressure port? When I unscrewed the caps, both ports looked similar and my recharging unit says it has a "universal fit" so I don't want to mix it up. What characteristics should I look for? Would it be the the outside vs. inside tube or the thicker vs. thinner tube, etc.?

Thank you.