Louis Gutierrez
Louis Gutierrez, Technician
Experience:  Expert technician through Audi Academi

Audi A4: lock / spare remote key, but next day it

Customer Question

Audi A4 MY 2009 (B8 chasis) - The remote control key stopped working (remote lock / unlock), it starts the engine, but doesn't lock /unlock, so I have to remove the emergency key from inside to open / close the doors. I picked my spare remote key, but next day it stopped working too (??). Tested both batteries OK. How can I reprogram the remote key function (FOB) to be recognized by the car ??
Category: Audi
Expert:  Louis Gutierrez replied 7 years ago.
There is a technical solution for this so you must go to your nearest dealership, so they can get the car fix, there is nothing you can do by yourself, you have to use the scan tool for this repair, so just take the car to the dealer and they will take car of it no cost to you is warranty, by the way if you have taken the batteries out the remotes will loose their basic settings and they will stop working .. either way just take the car to the dealer this is known problem for the audi world.. I hope this help you good luck...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Luois, but I was thinking of a reprogramming step by step guide as I have done before with previous Audi cars, Mazda and Mitsubishi. There must be a way to manually re-program these new "all in one" keys. Regarding dealer service, here in my country they are new and have a very small facility; they don't have a scan tool nor online connection, so they asked me to wait till next month (???) or pay for the nearest volkswagen agency to do the reprog job because they use the same "online" connection required by Audi.
Yes, that is correct VW uses the same stuff as Audi, but as far as I know there is no other way to do it, but if you do find the way do you mind telling how to do it.. I have try several different things but the never work, The lates that I try was to have the key out of the remote with the door close and the key in the lock cyl lock the car manually and press the remote lock button for ten seconds.. the lights should blink .. I really dont know if this will work but you can always try .. Good luck..