Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

96 AUDI A4 QUATTRO: WITH A V6. IT WILL NOT START...DASH

Customer Question

I HAVE A 96 AUDI A4 QUATTRO WITH A V6. IT WILL NOT START. IT DOESN'T TURN OVER OR ANYTHING. ALL THE LIGHTS IN THE DASH WORK. I PUT A TEST LIGHT AT THE STARTER & THERE IS POWER COMING OUT OF THE LARGE TERMINAL BUT NONE AT THE SMALL TERMINAL WHEN YOU TRY STARTING IT. I WAS TOLD IT COULD POSSIBLY BE THE IGNITION SWITCH BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TEST. WHAT DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 years ago.
Hello,Customer Thank for using our service!

Is your A4 equipped with automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MANUAL
I'll be back shortly with your answer. Hang in there...
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Your symptoms are consistent with a failed electrical portion of your ignition switch. This is a fairly common condition and replacing the switch should cure the problem. The switch is just the electrical portion, not the tumbler your key goes into, or the steering lock assembly, but the electrical portion mounted on the back inside the steering column. I believe the switch sells for about $40 and it takes about a hour labor to replace. I generally do not recommend this repair to the DIY mechanic. It requires a special long #30 Torx bit socket to remove the steering wheel, and you must deal with the airbag.

There was a recall on this switch that applied to the A4. I suggest you contact the dealer with your VIN number to check if the recall has been performed and is still outstanding, in which case the repair may be covered for free. The new “updated switches are black where the old style switches are white.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any more questions for me on this matter, I would be more than happy to further assist you. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT“ button by THIS answer.

Thank You!
Jake “THE AUDI DOCTOR”

Jake, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
OK, we've got it.
The start signal goes from the Ignition switch (terminal #50 Red/Black wire) to the P/N relay (terminal #19), then goes to the starter solenoid.
Check for power at Ign switch terminal #50 with switch turned to 'Start'. If no power, replace the switch. If there is power, go to terminal #17 of P/N relay (in central electric panel). If no power, check for power at terminal #15 and for ground at terminal #20. If OK, replace relay.