Andy7731
Andy7731, Technician
Experience:  5 years VW/Audi experience, various VW courses taken

2000 Audi A4: Quattro..Automatic/Tiptronic Transmission..mi..mins

I have a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, Automatic/Tiptronic Transmission, with 95K mi.   When I drive the vehicle for 30 mins or so, and the vehicle is hot, I am having trouble in Reverse gear. When I shift into Reverse, the vehicle shudders for 2 - 3 secs and then goes into Reverse. I do not have this problem in any other gears and the vehicle seems to drive as normal. Additionally, my Check Engine light is on. A local mechanic said the code shows it's a Mass Air Flow Sensor. Could these two problems be related OR do you think that one has nothing to do with the other?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.
have u scanned the transmission module and check the fluid condition?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I am bringing the car back to the shop today. I will ask them to scan the transmission module (the TCM, I assume?) and check the fluid condition. I have heard that you should not change the fluid, since it may have metal shavings in it that the transmission is used to? Would changing the fluid make the transmission work harder and potentially cause future problems? Also, I was skeptical about it being a transmission problem, since it only happens in Reverse? Please let me know. Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.
do not change fluid yet can make work harder more problems yet to experience

is the dash when i reverse shows r for reverse?
Expert:  Andy7731 replied 4 years ago.

Hi there.

The Air Mass Meter plays a major part in the Transmission system, if the Air mass meter is faulty, the transmission can't sense engine load correctly, get that changed no matter what you decide to do with the transmission.

In my workshop we fit an Air Mass Meter with every transmission we fit/repair on Audi, VW group and Mercedes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I put the vehicle in "Reverse," the dash is lit and shows the car in Reverse.

When I took the vehicle to the shop today, the mechanic put it on a device which showed Code # XXXXX An Audi Repair Book I have showed this code as "Fuel trim too rich @ idle (Bank 1)." Could this be the cause of the "Reverse" shudder I am experiencing or are the two problems unrelated?

Expert:  Andy7731 replied 4 years ago.

Hi Gymz,

The Problem may or may not be related to the Air Mass Meter fault, however the transmission won't work correctly while that is reading the air flow wrong. now, is the transmission a 5 or 6 speed. its either going to be the ZF 5HP19 or the Audis own CVT known as the 01J

Andy7731

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an automatic 5-speed trans with tiptronic.

Expert:  Andy7731 replied 4 years ago.

OK, so its a ZF 5 HP19, from your symptoms i would say there is a fault with the reverse drum, generally what happens is, the drum cracks where the circlip sits, and when you select reverse, the valve body applies pressure to the drum to lock the frictions up, then the car moves, but if the the circlip is moving when the pressure is applied, you will get a judder in the early stages, and eventually you will lose reverse altogether.

So realistically speaking, you need to get you transmission overhauled.

i hope i have been of some help to you.

Thanks for using justanswer.com.

Andy7731

Andy7731, Technician
Experience: 5 years VW/Audi experience, various VW courses taken