AudiGuru, Master Guild Audi Technician
Experience:  Master Guild Audi / Master ASE Tech incl. L1 Advanced Level Diagnosis

2003 Audi A6 Quattro: The check engine light came..torque converter

The check engine light came on our 2003 Audi A6 Quattro and after bringing it in we were told it was a seal in the torque converter that needed to be replaced and it would cost $3k. The car is out of warranty but only has 47,000 miles on it so my husband told the dealer to call Audi corporate and see what they can do because there's no way this should be happening with such low mileage on the car. They dropped the bill down to $2k. The car is riding fine and showing no symptoms of a problem other than that light turning on. I've read about owners with this same problem and that Audi redesigned the seal to help eliminate the problem but that the new seal also may have problems. Are we just going to be throwing good money after bad with this issue and is it truly necessary to get fixed since the car is working fine? Should we take it to a dealer vs. a local garage?   Any chance Audi would do a recall on this?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiGuru replied 7 years ago.
This is something that you can live with. Chances are if you turn off the check engine light it stays off until you hit the freeway for awhile. You may also notice less fuel mileage but performance should be the same.

Now one problem you have is the check engine light staying on because you don't have the tool to turn it off.
It is a problem because if another fault happens you won't know because the light is already on.
So buy a cheap OBD2 scan tool for $30 or so that way you can clear the faults and check for new ones.

The final fix is replacement and 2 grand is good deal but I think Audi has a program that is 1/3 you 1/3 dealer 1/3 audi. So this should get the price to $1000. See if they will take that offer.

Chances of a recall are slim because it isn't a saftey issue.

I wouldn't worry about the new having a problem. I haven't seen one come back yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.