Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
2947720

Cabriolet roof of my Audi A4 is not working. Help

Customer Question

Problems with my Audi A4 cabriolet roof. When I press button for roof to go down, roof clips out of windscreen pillar and then goes no further. Checked to see if anything was blocking it, but nothing I can see. Happened to me last Friday, then strangely roof worked on Saturday. Now it is not working today.

Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. It involves a revised convertible top control module. This is what it states.

During opening sequence, tension bow has fallen out of range and top operation ceases. DTC 2000 (Switch position incorrect signal) will be stored in the Convertible Top Control Unit. This condition is more common when the vehicle is on an incline with the front of the vehicle elevated, such as when parked in a sloped driveway.

DTC 2000 will be the only fault present for this bulletin to apply. If there are any other fault in the convertible top control unit, these malfunctions must be corrected first. Only after these are corrected and the above condition is still present, accompanied by DTC 2000, should you continue.

Only technicians who have successfully completed Self Study Program 991203 - The Audi A4 Cabriolet and course number 991202 - Audi A4 Cabriolet Introduction are permitted to service the A4 Cabriolet. If you have not completed these prerequisites, do not continue with this bulletin. Have the case dispatched to a qualified A4 Cabriolet technician.

Technical Background

During the opening phase of the convertible top run, the front lock lifts from the windshield and the tension bow lifts to a vertical position to allow clearance for the convertible top box lid to open. The lid is then unlatched. During the unlatching of the top box lid and at the point when the tension bow is vertical, the opening strategy calls for the hydraulic pump to shut off momentarily. During this "off period" the tension bow is not under pressure and can slowly drift backwards before the top box lid can unlatch completely. Within this time period, the tension bow may have exceeded its plausible operating range. This will cause the top operation to cease. DTC 2000 (Switch position incorrect signal) is stored.

Production Solution

Optimized Convertible Top Operation Control Module beginning with software 9.0, part number 8H0 959 255B.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like a quote from an Audi manual. Could you tell me name of the part id. I would be looking to rectify the problem or is it something that I could reset or requires to be reset by Audi themselves.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 years ago.

Sorry, I just got back from the doctor's office. There are a couple of possibilities on it. The module, (part number) or the top frame position sensor. The dealer would be the best bet for it, as the tests require special equipment and software.

Production Solution

Service

1.Address the Convertible Top Operation Control Module and check the control module part number. If the vehicle is already equipped with Convertible Top Operation Control Module 8H0 959 255B, this Technical Service Bulletin does not apply. Any malfunction in the convertible top system with this part number module installed will likely not be related to the subject matter contained in this Technical Service Bulletin. Carry out the appropriate diagnosis and repair relevant to the failure according to the information in ElsaWeb.

Replace Convertible Top Frame Position Sensor G356 (8H0 959 613) with the improved version, which is identified with a yellow dot.

graphic

Microswitch