janoboy
janoboy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  7 years European car experience, shop foreman

How to reprogram 2003 audi a4 1.8T with only one key?

Customer Question

Category: Audi
Expert:  janoboy replied 5 years ago.
You will need two keys, otherwise you have to take it to the dealer to do it.
janoboy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 7 years European car experience, shop foreman
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am in Toronto, Canada. I am pretty sure the dealer is going to charge me a great deal of money. Is there an alternative way to save money and get the work done?

For example, can I buy a uncut key from EBAY, get someone to cut it. Now I have two keys, and use each other to reprogram the keys?

If the key is not programed, can I still drive the car freely? Is there any other problems aside from unable to unlock/lock the door?

Expert:  janoboy replied 5 years ago.
No, there should be no other issues besides the central locking. The most effective alternative is to purchase a key (without the remote) and have it cut. It's not expensive. I used to work for Audi, they charged $60 to do it. You will need a spare key anyway. Believe me, you do not want to loose the only one you have....
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

This is Jake "The Audi Doctor" another expert here at Just Answer. I think I can help you.

If you are attempting to re-program a key that was previously functional and you replaced the battery, but now the remote has no effect, you should be able to reactivate the previously programmed key by closing the vehicle's door, manually locking it, immediately pressing the unlock button. If you have not exceeded the maximum lock cycles (100?) since the remote became non-functional it should reactivate. Other wise it would need to be programmed with an Audi capable scanner. Also, be sure you have the batteries in correctly if you just replaced them.

I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated! If you accept my answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake "The Audi Doctor"