Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

Audi a6: dash light..1997? is it the valet key and what does it do

what is the dash light that looks like a car with a key below on audi a6 1997? is it the valet key and what does it do? how do you get the light that tells you what gear you are in?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 7 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

The light with a key Is the Immobilizer Malfunction Indicator light (MIL). It should go out once the vehicle has been started. It would illuminate and possibly flash if the system were blocking the running of the vehicle. I assume this is a non-US specification vehicle as Immobilizer was not utilized in the US until 2001.

The transmission range selector display (automatic transmission only) should be a horizontal row of lights P, R, N, D, 3, 2 to the right of the speedometer, between the speedometer and the accessory gauges. This is on a left hand drive vehicle (US). The bulbs on the circuit board have likely failed. Also, it is common for the ambient temperature display above the center information display to fail. Both circuit boards can be removed and the bulbs replaced (soldered in) if you go to an electronics store and match the bulbs. This is NOT a simple procedure, but replacement circuit boards retail for about $130 US.

I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated! If you accept my answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake "The Audi Doctor"