AudiGuru, Master Guild Audi Technician
Experience:  Master Guild Audi / Master ASE Tech incl. L1 Advanced Level Diagnosis

how to remove 1997 Audi A6 quttro Starter and ignishion sw

Customer Question

how to remove 1997 Audi A6 quttro Starter and ignishion switch?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiGuru replied 7 years ago.
This is step by step for the ignition switch

Replace this before the starter it might just fix the whole problem.

The starter is on the side of the motor there are just 2 bolts holding it on. Disconnect the battery first. Disconnect the starter wires. Replace starter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What I am asking about 1997 Audi (automatic) A6 quttro starter removal step by step procedure and Ignition switch which means: what Items I need to remove to reach to starter. The starter is not accessible at all. The starter is hidden between frame and motor, behind alternator and below exhaust heat shield. Hardly one can see the starter between these cluster of items. There is no room even to put hand.

I want some one who has done this work specially on 1997 Audi (automatic) A6 Quttro starter and ignition switch. Please send step by step procedure such as what Items I should remove and how to remove including bolts, nuts and wires along with pictures and diagrams to reach starter removal as well as ignition switch removal.

I do not want any generic answers. I know how to change a starter on American Cars but I do not know on German 1997 Audi automatic A6 Quttro car. I greatly appreciate if some one can answer me immediately. If no one can answer by the end of today (March 06, 2009) Please do not charge me $9.00 and return my money immediately.

Thank you

Riazuddin Rahimi

Expert:  AudiGuru replied 7 years ago.
Is your ignition switch in the dash? Or on the steering column?
If it is on the dash my link was step by step directions. Replace this first and get back to me if you still need to replace the starter.

By the way you don't pay until you hit accept.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have seen the same ignition switch link about a week back. I am not satisfied with the explanation. If you can get me some steps and better pictures than what in the site with schematic diagram along with your experience on 1997 Audi automatic A6 Quttro, I can look in to it. My most important concern was Starter. As you know without starter installation my car does not start. At this time my ignition switch not totally dead, it is only not kick back after start from fully open position to start position without manual turn back. I suspect due to the ignition swich problem my starter must have died.

Just for your information I did explored internet for the starter removal procedure but I did not found one expect alternator removal on late model Audi. The procedure of alternator removal on the web is very complicated.What I understand from the dealer is different than what some one posted on the web about alternator removal. I want if you can explain me complete procedure of removal of every item to reach starter removal along with detail pictures and schematic diagram on my 1997 Audi automatic A6 quattro I greatly appreciate.

Thank you,

Riazuddin Rahimi

Expert:  AudiGuru replied 7 years ago.
I am going to opt out and give another expert a chance to answer your question.