AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

How many liters/quarts of transmission fluid does Audi A4 takes

How many liters/quarts of transmission fluid does Audi A4 takes? Is it 5 or 7 or in between? I just did the fluid/filter change and experience jerking gear changes... Used Pentosin transmission fluid... We put 5 liters.. but I see people adding as much as 7..
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 7 years ago.
year/engine?

Also, exactly what procedure did you do to fill it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Audi A4, V6 2.8L

Bought a transmission kit from Blauparts.com with Pentosin tran fluid. Used 5 liters to pump it in. A little pump was included to replace VAG tool. The oil drain plug in this model was on the bottom rather than on its side. Was a little challenging since the pump they included was a bit small in diameter. I had to add a wider rubber ring to keep a tight seal on the opening. But did put all 5 liters in.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 7 years ago.
Ok, well, the filling procedure is a bit more involved. You may be a bit overfull, especially if you filled it while running, when col. Basically, here are the steps:
  1. hook up vag-com, access trans controller (02), measuring block 04
  2. fill pan before starting
  3. start car
  4. keep filling until fluid starts to run back out
  5. wait until trans fluid temperature (display field 1 on vag-com) reaches 40 degrees
  6. reinstall fill plug.
In your case, since you may be overfull, you can start cold. Hook up vag com and navigate to the measuring block I mentioned. Start the car, uncap the fill plug, and let run until temp reaches 40, then cap it off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, if I start the car, uncap the plug and tran fluid starts running back, I'm definitely overfilled. But if its not running back, should I try to add some more until it starts leaking back?

I don't have a vag com tool, just a pump that was included to pump oil into the tranny. In our PA, Philly weather if the car is cold, on the average how long does it take for oil to warm up until it reaches about 40 degrees?

Thanks a lot

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 7 years ago.
Correct on your first statements/question.

If you have some way of measuring the temperature of the pan, that would be helpful. And we're talking degrees celcius, so about 100-105 F. Really difficult to say how long it takes to warm, since I'm usually in a 60 degree shop. Maybe 20 minutes? Still, a direct reading of some sort would be very helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks.. just I guess a theoretical question. I always was under impression that the transmission might produce jerking gear changes if there is not enough fluid, and would produce somewhat a delayed.. slipping gear changes if its too much fluid..

Is that correct or totally the opposite?? (This was my last question:-))
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 7 years ago.
generally, yes, you are correct.

And no problem with the questions, it's what we're here for. Smile