JOHN
JOHN, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  VAG CERTIFIED ASE CERTIFIED HYUNDAI CERT
15595459

What is the difference between a flashing MIL (check engine

What is the difference between a flashing MIL (check engine light) and a solid MIL light (light is on but not it's flashing) on a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro sedan?
Category: Audi
Expert:  JOHN replied 8 years ago.
the flashing mil light means that the problem is currently hapening and that it is a catylatic causing failure and the solid light means there is a problem but it may not be damaging i hope this helps please hit the accept button if it is and i would appreciate postive feed back
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Two weeks ago, my car started to vibrate and the MIL light was flashing. The dealer fixed the problem, which was an ignition coil failure in cylinder No. 2. Yesterday, my car started vibrating again and the MIL light started flashing. I immediately thought it was another ignition coil failure, as my car was experiencing the same symptoms from two weeks ago. However, when I turned the car on today (dealer closed today), I noticed that the car is still vibrating but the MIL light is no longer flashing but it is instead a solid light (on but not flashing). Could this be another misfire or something worse?

Expert:  JOHN replied 8 years ago.

yes it very much sounds like a misfire by the way your describing the vibrating shaking of the engine i'm going to also guess loss of power and decrease in fuel mileage accompanied this. have the plugs been changed if the veh is over 70,000 miles i would recommend a tune up but go ahead and have veh scanned it is never good to drive veh with the mil on