Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

2002 Audi A6: The check engine light is..running fine

Customer Question

The check engine light is on in my 2002 Audi A6 but the car is running fine. Are there things I can check myself before taking in for service? Thanks.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

The check engine/service engine soon light notifies the driver of a possible emissions related problem. It is also known as a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). The MIL can be either a steady or blinking light. A steady light indicates a fault that may cause high engine or evaporative emissions. Under certain conditions the light will blink or flash. A blinking light indicates a severe level of engine misfire that can cause expensive component damage.

I suggest you have the engine control module (ECM) interrogated with an OBD II scanner to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) which is causing the MIL to illuminate. Only with this information can you efficiently diagnose the cause for MIL illumination. There are MANY conditions which can illuminate the MIL.

Many Auto Parts "chain" stores with scan your vehicles on board diagnostics and retrieve any stored DTC(s) for free. Once you have this/these codes, I can give you a better idea of what may be the cause.

There are several ways to turn off the MIL:

(1) check to see if the gas cap is tight; if not, tighten it (the MIL may not go off immediately) - a loose cap may indicate an evaporative fuel leak;

(2) have the system with a scan tool, perform a repair and turn off the light; or,

(3) the system may turn itself off after a period of time if it no longer detects a problem.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns, should you have any further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always appreciated! If you decide to accept this answer, please click the ACCEPT button by this answer.

Thank You!

Jake "The Audi Doctor"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have checked the gas cap and it seems OK.

Is it safe to continue to drive the car as long as the light is not flashing?

I don't understand item # XXXXX Is this something I can do? If so, how?

How long will this dialogue stay open? I was thinking to try and get the diagnostic code(s) and send to you.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Is it safe to continue to drive the car as long as the light is not flashing? - Yes

I don't understand item # XXXXX Is this something I can do? If so, how? - I suggest you have the engine control module (ECM) interrogated with an OBD II scanner to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) which is causing the MIL to illuminate. Only with this information can you efficiently diagnose the cause for MIL illumination. There are MANY conditions which can illuminate the MIL.

Many Auto Parts "chain" stores with scan your vehicles on board diagnostics and retrieve any stored DTC(s) for free.

How long will this dialogue stay open? . - the dialog will stay open as long as you do not "close" it, even after you have "accepted".

I was thinking to try and get the diagnostic code(s) and send to you - yes, that would be the best way to proceed. Once you have this/these codes, I can give you a better idea of what may be the cause.

Thank You!

Jake "THE AUDI DOCTOR"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got the Code, it's P0050. Described as follows -

Definition - H02S21 Heater Control Circuit

Explanation - Open or short circuit condition

Probable Causes- Poor electrical connection or Failed H02S