Mike, Technician
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..

my ignition switch wont spring back when the key is turned.

my ignition switch won't spring back when the key is turned. I have had the switch replaced before, but I would like to do it my self. How do I remove it from the dash?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

You don't need to replace the whole ignition unit - you need to just renew the electrical connection / unit on the back end of it...

This is the part that has the spring mech in it.

If you look at your old unit - you can see that this small electrical piece is held on by tiny screws - one each side...

If you just remove the screws, the piece will come off --and then you fit up the new one and replace the screw..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds,.... MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget..........

PS...Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given- as thats how I get paid ;)

Feedback is always appreciated too... Thank you .

Mike, Technician
Experience: Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike, thanks but, there are NO screws on the electrical piece. It snaps in and is held by pressure clips on the sides. Maybe that is the problem, as I have the new electrical bit to put in, but the pressure clips are covered by the metal ignition housing the whole ignition switch goes into. I can't release the pressure clips until I get the thing out of the housing. It looks like the switch is held in the housing by 2 additional pressure clips based on the looks of the piece I have in my hand, but it wont budge. Are the 2 screws your talking about on the front (Key side) or back (Underside) of the switch?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

HI there...

Ok... can you tell me exactly which model this Audi is please?

Rgds.. MIKE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is a 1997 Cabriolet. I feel where the 2 screw may be, but they are on the top of the housing facing up. How then do I access them to unscrew them? It appears that I have to remove at a minimum the instrument cluster or at the most the dash as it appears to be 1 piece.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Never mind I removed the dash, unscrewed the 2 screws I think you were talking about and replaced it. Sad that you didn't even know the make and model though it was included in the original question. Not sure if you earned the 15 bucks but the problem is repaired.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

The neg feedback was wholly undeserved. I told you there were screws holding the electrical section on.... you have to do a little bit yourself you know...like look for them.

Too -because of what I told you - you have cured the problem - which was the desired result.

Im afraid -contrary to what some people may think - I do not live here on the computer...but I gave you sufficient enough information to sort the problem out... even as you have done...with a little thinking added. All we can do is advise - we cant do the job for you Im afraid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

I'm sorry if you think the feed back was negative, I don't expet you to be living on the computer but, the make and model info was on the first question and based on what you were saying you were incorrect. the screws are located on the bracket that holds the electrical componant. These screws are only accessible from the top after removing the instrument cluster. You didn't tell me any of that. My next step, (as the car was not going anywhere while I waited) was to remove the instruments. where by I saw the screws you talked about. Maybe you assumed I was looking at the piece from the top as you would do as a service technician, but I was looking from the bottom as a consumer looking to not take the whole thing apart.

Again I am sorry if I offended, Maybe you needed to be more specific in how to access the part or is that the difference with the charges for the answers? Because now that I had to remove the steering wheel to remove the instrument cluster, the airbag light is on. Exactly the thing I don't want, to fix one thing and have something else go wrong.